universal dock and s-video

S

snowboardbeagle

My boyfriend just bought a universal dock for his 30 gig video ipod. He's had it hooked up to his stereo and everything was working fine. Last night, he bought an S-video cable so he could watch the tv shows he purchased on his TV from the ipod. However, when he hooked the s-video cable to the dock connector and then to the TV, he got a black and white picture with the bars on it - like really, really bad tracking on a VCR, basically, and no sound. He played around with all of the different options on the ipod, but no luck. Today he tried it on my TV and had the exact same results. What are we doing wrong?

Reaction score
I don't have a video iPod, but I would assume there is an option in it somewhere to change the output between NTSC and PAL. If in the US, it needs to be on NTSC.

Edit: I could be really wrong.

OP
S

snowboardbeagle

mynameis said:
I don't have a video iPod, but I would assume there is an option in it somewhere to change the output between NTSC and PAL. If in the US, it needs to be on NTSC.

Edit: I could be really wrong.

We changed it to NTSC and still got the same results. Thanks, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Is the TV set up, i.e on the right channel, to receive inputs from S-Video? Check your TV Owners manual for correct setup.

OP
S

snowboardbeagle

We tried it on every channel option, and it only shows up on video 2, but with the gray bars and no sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you consulted the Owners Manual for proper TV setup for S-Video?

OP
S

snowboardbeagle

Well the dock works with everything else...audio, apple remote...so maybe it is just the cable.

Just to be sure we're doing this right, though...we plugged the s-video cable into the ipod and then the other end into the TV, set the ipod to NTSC, and scanned thru the channels. The only thing that showed up was the crappiness I described above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you consulted the Owners Manual for proper TV setup for S-Video?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
As for the no sound, audio doesn't go through the s-video cable so with just it going to the tv you shouldn't be hearing anything. To get sound you have to go from the line out jack on the back of the dock to the audio inputs associated with the s-video input on the tv, Usually white and red.

OP
S

snowboardbeagle

Yeah. We followed what the book said, and got the same results. So, I guess it just must be a bad cable.

OP
S

snowboardbeagle

avcabob said:
As for the no sound, audio doesn't go through the s-video cable so with just it going to the tv you shouldn't be hearing anything. To get sound you have to go from the line out jack on the back of the dock to the audio inputs associated with the s-video input on the tv, Usually white and red.

Thanks. That solves the no sound problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.