Still having text input issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
I have been having this problem ever since I purchased my MacBook on June 10. Whenever I highlight text in any field on any window and try to type over it to replace it, it doesn't work until I click the cursor outside of the screen. As an example, if I am in Safari, or the Finder, or on iChat, if I typed in the word "apple" and I wanted to replace it with the word "orange", there are two ways I can do it. I can place the cursor after the word "apple" and click and hold the delete button, or I can highlight the entire word and retype "orange."

The problem is by doing the latter, or highlighting the word, when I begin to retype the word, it does not work! At least, until I click the cursor on the screen... anywhere on the screen. So, the highlighted word remains as it is even when I type a separate word and it will NOT change until I click the trackpad button somewhere on the screen or window.

This is becoming very annoying. My software and version of OSX is up-to-date.

OP
diesel828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
Am I the only one having this problem, or was I pretty vague about it? It's a pretty difficult problem to describe, I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
If I understand your problem right it's as if it's waiting for some input from the mouse before letting you type when you use the highlight method?

And if so, I think i've had something like that happen once or twice on my MBP, but I didn't do anything to fix it.

OP
diesel828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that's a pretty accurate description of what's happening. When I highlight text, anything I type does not appear until there is input from my trackpad or the large button below it.

OP
diesel828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured out the problem. The "Drag lock (click to release)" feature is what's causing it. When I drag the cursor to highlight text, I need to click to release the highlight in order to make the changes. Who knew?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.