harddrive question

Reaction score
i bought the black macbook which says it comes with 80 GBs. but when i first got it. i only had 57 GBs free. mac's software cant be 20 GBs. out could it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yup, it's just about 20 gigs. I installed a 100gb drive into my MacBook the other day and did a fresh install of OS X; I went from 94 gigs total to about 74 gigs total lol. The various software, language packs, etc., all add to the bloat. I think OS X itself only takes up like 5 gigs, but you'll have to cut down on the extra software. I'd recommend using AppZapper to get rid of the programs you don't want anymore:

http://appzapper.com/

C

ChrisV

i'm probably getting a Macbook this week. so it seems like i should probably order a bigger hard drive, rather than get more RAM. this will be my first Mac. i'm kinda shocked to see how much space the OS and other apps take up.

OP
L
Reaction score
ChrisV said:
i'm probably getting a Macbook this week. so it seems like i should probably order a bigger hard drive, rather than get more RAM. this will be my first Mac. i'm kinda shocked to see how much space the OS and other apps take up.
this was my first mac also. i bought 2GB ram from Newegg.com for $160 including shipping. better to buy from their than pay $600 from the apple store..

OP
L
Reaction score
kaidomac said:
Yup, it's just about 20 gigs. I installed a 100gb drive into my MacBook the other day and did a fresh install of OS X; I went from 94 gigs total to about 74 gigs total lol. The various software, language packs, etc., all add to the bloat. I think OS X itself only takes up like 5 gigs, but you'll have to cut down on the extra software. I'd recommend using AppZapper to get rid of the programs you don't want anymore:

http://appzapper.com/
i will do that. thanks for the info

C

ChrisV

L0GiC said:
this was my first mac also. i bought 2GB ram from Newegg.com for $160 including shipping. better to buy from their than pay $600 from the apple store..

thanks for the tip. i dont know if i'll need 2GB of RAM. i might go with the black Macbook with the 80GB HD and 1GB for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
L0GiC said:
i will do that. thanks for the info

No problem, the app is well worth the twelve bucks it costs to buy it. The demo gives you 5 zaps for free btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 80GbHD 512MB Ram
i noticed this as well. i was shocked to see after starting up my mbp with 80gb there were only 57gb available. does anyone know where to look for all the languages? from what i hear the language support takes up quit a bit of space, and i only plan on using english.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.