Hard Drive Upgrade Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
1. I know i need a 2.5" drive and that i want 80GB. what brand can be put in an iBook?

2. What specs would be best for what i want? like what size cache/drive speed? I dont really do much with the ibook. i just need more starage space. the OEM HDD that is in it is fine.

3. where is an inexpensive place to get the HDD i am looking for?

i know these questions may have been answered, but i have spent the last few days searching and i haven't gotten a straight answer. any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I stuck a 5400rpm Toshiba with a 16mb cache in my old Pismo and liked that alot. It was very quiet, and it was faster than the stock drive (4200 rpm).

Check out OWC @ www.macsales.com or the drive compatibility database at www.xlr8yourmac.com for which drives are tested as compatible with your model of iBook. then you can froogle (or whatever) the model # to get the best deal. If there is not a big price diff OWC has really good customer support for mac users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Im not sure if I'd put a 7200RPM drive in the ibook... you may have a heat issue.. stick with 5400 RPM , as jhelm007 said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I personally like seagate's drives as they come with a 5-year warranty.

They might not fail less, but at least they'll replace it when it does :)

But any brand should do, as long as it uses a regular 2,5" IDE connector (avoid the newer S-ATA drives, they won't work in the iBook).

The 7,200 rpm drives will work as well, the additional heat isn't really much of an issue, as long as you can put up with a slightly warmer handrest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.