How to disable spellcheck system-wide?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Spellcheck bugs me; anyone know how to disable it throughout the system? You can disable it in individual applications by right-clicking a text area and then unchecking "Check Spelling as you Type" in the Spelling menu. I use a lot of computer terminology when I type and the spellchecker doesn't understand the majority of it, so I get the annoying red underlines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
is this a question or a solution? the best way for it to not bug you is learn from your mistakes and learn how to spell and punctuate properly.
-chris

Reaction score
The spell checker in TextEdit , for instance, drove me nuts until I discovered I could change the default dictionary to Canadian English. Doing so ended the irritating red lines under correctly spelled words.

If the wrong dictionary is the problem — and continuing with TextEdit, since it's common on both our machines — right-click on a word in a TextEdit document and choose Spelling, then in the submenu choose Spelling again. You can change the dictionary at the bottom-left.

I also found Canadian English within the International preferences in the Mac's system preferences. By choosing Edit List, I deselected English, then by scrolling down found and chose Canadian English.

That doesn't change anything in the Mac's dictionary, though. It still says that "colour" is the British spelling, rather than pointing out that "color" is correct in only one of at least 41 English-speaking countries. :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
coach_z said:
is this a question or a solution? the best way for it to not bug you is learn from your mistakes and learn how to spell and punctuate properly.
-chris

This is a question I just updated the first post to clarify my question. The stuff in parenthesis refers to the option I'm talking about. The best way for it not to bug me is to turn it off; I often make little notes in Stickies or TextEdit with computer terminology that the spellchecker doesn't understand, so my notes are filled with the red underlines. It bugs me :)

Reaction score
You can turn TextEdit's spell check off as its default setting in TextEdit's preferences (then quit TextEdit and restart it). You can then turn it on for individual documents by choosing Spelling under Edit.

Stickies doesn't have any preferences. All I could do was to turn off the spell check each time I started the app (by going to Spelling under Edit).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
I also found Canadian English within the International preferences in the Mac's system preferences. By choosing Edit List, I deselected English, then by scrolling down found and chose Canadian English.

That doesn't change anything in the Mac's dictionary, though. It still says that "colour" is the British spelling, rather than pointing out that "color" is correct in only one of at least 41 English-speaking countries. :)

great! thanks. been wondering this for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
did you ever think to start hitting "learn" eventually it would clear itself up but as far as what your asking IDK never thought or wanted to try tp turn it off

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.