Nikon d50 or Canon Rebel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Im looking into getting a digital SLR but can't decide between these two. I'd like some feedback. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've got a D50 and love it. Follow the links in my Sig....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Before this sinks into canon vs. nikon...... Go to the shop and try both. Decide which one suits you best. Both have advantages but once you bump up to the higher cameras it almost doesn't really matter which brand as long as it fits your hands well and the controls work for you. I personally went canon... But that's just what worked for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. I went with Nikon because it was free....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They BOTH are outstanding cameras. I agree with Sarahsboy, go try them out, see which ones features and controls better fit you.

Reaction score
The canon will perform better at high iso. but those 2 cameras just depend on your prefrence. i believe the xt has a few more settings than the d50, along with some very nice glass options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
nikon all the way. I dnt like the plasticity of the rebel.
I'm using the d70s though, & i'm loving it. better grip & comfort.
& read more about lenses before making your decisions.

Reaction score
Find the Nikon.
Photog_400.jpg

Its pretty obvious when 98% of professional photographers use Canons and Canon glass. that Canon clearly has the best glass..... But then again d50, d70, xt are more consumer level cameras, im sure you wont be dissapointed with either.

im just gunna throw this in here, mabye pick up a used 20d....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interestingly, I know a number of professional photographers who use Canon where they work, employer supplied cameras, but prefer Nikon for personal use. Go figure...

Reaction score
I am told that the Nikon D70 feels nicer and has better performance across the process, but the Canon produces the better image at the end. I guess it's a similar story with the D50. Personally I use an old Canon 10D / sometimes 20D and love them both.

Obviously if you're intending to enlarge above A4 or so then go for the Canon, it's got 2 million extra pixels of resolution.

Also bear in mind that you can get the canon with a usm lens thrown in if you shop around.

Reaction score
And again any of those cameras will produce amazing results in the right hands. Alot of it comes down not to the camera, but the photographer, and the lense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Canon, overall is used more, and with that it may be easier to get help with it, depending on where you live. I personally prefer the canon, just beacuse of the features and the image quality over the nikon. Be warned, the XT is small, so if you have big hands stay away. However, the smallness is a feature that I prefer. I've brought the XT to paris and hawaii with me, and it worked spotlessly both times, and it was easy to transport. Also canon supports their prodcuts better, in my findings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
try both of them out. i bought a canon 350d only because the camera fits into my hand better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Yes, ergonomics is a huge aspect considering you will be holding this thing a lot...

However, if you are only considering those two cameras....get the Canon. The D50 is slow, has a pretty non-existent buffer, tiny viewfinder...never compared them side by side but the Canon Rebel (or Rebel XT) more closely meets up in features with the D70s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
macAttack said:
Canon, overall is used more

I guess if shipping 1.8 million units in 2006 (projected) compared to shipping 1.6 million units in 2006 (projected) worldwide is technically "used more" or at least "purchased more" (Figures are for DSLR's not point and shoot cameras or film)
macAttack said:
I personally prefer the canon, just beacuse of the features and the image quality over the nikon. Also canon supports their prodcuts better, in my findings.

As far as image quality that would depend on the photographer and not entirely on the camera being used. I have not had to deal with Nikon Support, my cameras have not malfunctioned...so I cannot offer an opinion on that. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bonzaisushi said:
Find the Nikon.
Photog_400.jpg

Its pretty obvious when 98% of professional photographers use Canons and Canon glass. that Canon clearly has the best glass..... But then again d50, d70, xt are more consumer level cameras, im sure you wont be dissapointed with either.

im just gunna throw this in here, mabye pick up a used 20d....

Nikon also has grey lenses...however most of the photogs in this photograph do not own their own equipment their company does. If I worked for a company that purchased my equipment (Canon gives them great deals by the way) then I too would shoot whatever came free.

Edited to add:
I need to say that I have owned both Nikon and Canon (not DSLR for Canon), its really simply a matter of taste...and both make good images when used properly. Dont get swayed by someone who has entirely too much emotionally tied into their equipment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Odin_aa said:
Dont get swayed by someone who has entirely too much emotionally tied into their equipment.

So might say that about Apple users... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deus_ex_machina said:
So might say that about Apple users... ;)
lol

Thats another topic...

I cannot decide at the moment between a new MAC or PC laptop...figure I will wait until Fall/Christmas to buy.

Three weeks ago, I almost bought a Canon DLSR (The 5D) but decided that between that and then needing to get a lens to go with it that it just would not be financially responsible so went with another Nikon. I may own both systems again in the future if Nikon does not produce a full frame sensor camera line, as I feel there are advantages to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Odin_aa said:
I guess if shipping 1.8 million units in 2006 (projected) compared to shipping 1.6 million units in 2006 (projected) worldwide is technically "used more" or at least "purchased more" (Figures are for DSLR's not point and shoot cameras or film)

Please, look at any professional sporting event. Better yet, look at the pictures. Even if the employers give the cameras to the photographers, they wouldn't use them if they didn't like the results. If you depend on being paid to take pictures, you're not using a crappy camera.

Odin_aa said:
As far as image quality that would depend on the photographer and not entirely on the camera being used. I have not had to deal with Nikon Support, my cameras have not malfunctioned...so I cannot offer an opinion on that. :mac:

I meant as much as tutorials and learning to use the camera. Canon has an awesome tutorial website.

Ok, as far as whci hcamera to buy I have been reading more and more reviews of the nikon being better outside, and the canon being way better inside. Which will you be shooting more of?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.