Nikon d50 or Canon Rebel?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Alright I've decided on the Canon Rebel...just have to decide between black and silver now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
the black looks better.... the silver looks cheap to me, like how most of the point and shoot cameras are silver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Bonzaisushi said:
Its pretty obvious when 98% of professional photographers use Canons and Canon glass. that Canon clearly has the best glass..... But then again d50, d70, xt are more consumer level cameras, im sure you wont be dissapointed with either.

macAttack said:
Please, look at any professional sporting event. Better yet, look at the pictures. Even if the employers give the cameras to the photographers, they wouldn't use them if they didn't like the results. If you depend on being paid to take pictures, you're not using a crappy camera.

As a Canon guy... I have to say you are way off here... You will always see alot of L glass at any event that requires large telephotos. Canon has always dominated those markets. But if you look at people doing more in the field PJ and studio work you will quickly see more Nikon than Canon. Both have advantages... Canon may have better telephotos but at the same time they have worthless wide angles (I'm speaking from painful experience).... an area that Nikon does quite well in....

Again to make blanket statement is just silly. It all depends on what you are shooting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i don't beleive i posted that first part....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macAttack said:
i don't beleive i posted that first part....

My bad... i was responding to both statements and somehow got the quotes mixed up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I think as long as the point that Canon, Nikon and even Kodak cameras work well (Kodak can be bought to use either Canon or Nikon lenses)...what really matters is that the model you decide on has the features you need to shoot what you wish to.

Anyone who is invested into a system should look first for a camera that can already use lenses they own.

U

UncSki1218

i'd go black. i think the silver looks really cheap. but if moneys a factor go silver since you can get them for much cheaper.

E

ecapdeville

Hi!, nice option! I have the 350D (RebelXT) in black, I LOVE IT!

I didnt know you can have a smaller price because of the "color" of the body, here in mexico it cost the same.

Of course the black is better, silver LOOKS cheaper and with the use the color tends to wash a little bit.

This is my 2nd post in this forum!..hello to everybody

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
ecapdeville said:
Hi!, nice option! I have the 350D (RebelXT) in black, I LOVE IT!

I didnt know you can have a smaller price because of the "color" of the body, here in mexico it cost the same.

Of course the black is better, silver LOOKS cheaper and with the use the color tends to wash a little bit.

This is my 2nd post in this forum!..hello to everybody

Hello! ¡Bienvenido a los forums! I've always leaned towards Canon, usually video-wise (XL2) but I love using the Rebel series

Reaction score
sarahsboy18 said:
As a Canon guy... I have to say you are way off here... You will always see alot of L glass at any event that requires large telephotos. Canon has always dominated those markets. But if you look at people doing more in the field PJ and studio work you will quickly see more Nikon than Canon. Both have advantages... Canon may have better telephotos but at the same time they have worthless wide angles (I'm speaking from painful experience).... an area that Nikon does quite well in....

Again to make blanket statement is just silly. It all depends on what you are shooting.

really? i think the 10-22 is one of the best lenses i have used. for a crop body camera, and the 16-35, is a great lense for the 5d, and 1d. i just got sick of shooting with the d70. so i left nikon bitterly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
If you have ever owned a nice camera, with a good view finder shooting with a D70, D50 and possibly the lower end canons will be a disappointment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bonzaisushi said:
really? i think the 10-22 is one of the best lenses i have used. for a crop body camera, and the 16-35, is a great lense for the 5d, and 1d. i just got sick of shooting with the d70. so i left nikon bitterly

I've heard OK things about the 10-22mm... But I wish they had an L version with a better maximum aperture. I have used the 16-35mm and it was decent but not anything amazing... Slow AF and not very sharp until f/4... Now, 14mm f/2.8L is pretty much a $1,800 waste of glass.... It is so soft that it doesn't even become usable until f/6.3 especially on a crop camera. My only hope is that I simply was using a bad copy... but most reviews I have seen on it are pretty much along the same lines.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not going to switch to Nikon over it or anything... I love Canon, their WAs at least get the job done, and I'm sticking with them. It's just that WA is not their strongsuit the way that their teles are. If I was shooting a ton of stuff where I needed WA and was starting to build my collection from scratch I'd be more drawn to Nikon than Canon.... By the same token as I love shooting sports Canon turned out to be best choice for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15' - Ultimate Drive- 100GB hard drive
i love my orignial Rebel, the equivialent of the D70 in my opinion
My program uses the D50, 70 and Rebel, and the most common are d70's and rebels, one is not better than the other, they are equal cameras. The Rebel is a little better in low light i've found, plus i like the menus better than the nikon, but then some of my friends like the nikon menu's better so it's all personal preference if believe.

-Pete-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
pmadis01 said:
i love my orignial Rebel, the equivialent of the D70 in my opinion
My program uses the D50, 70 and Rebel, and the most common are d70's and rebels, one is not better than the other, they are equal cameras. The Rebel is a little better in low light i've found, plus i like the menus better than the nikon, but then some of my friends like the nikon menu's better so it's all personal preference if believe.

-Pete-
yeah, on the higher ISO settings, I've seen surprisingly little grain on the Canon's. I haven't had a chance to use one of their DSLR's yet though. I heard Canon's are more expensive in the long run if you shoot with multiple lenses, as many people have told me that the D70s standard lens is one of the best out there, and out-does the standard Canon lenses. So, to get equivalent shots, I'm told you'd need to purchase a better lens for the Canon.

Though, the Canon's are more competitive when it comes to MP's and price - but people don't like the bodies.

Camera shops where I live tend to do great deals with the Canons. A twin lens kit for the 350D (for maybe 400D?) is slightly cheaper than the new D80 with a single lens.

I'm always sitting on the fence for this issue though. As soon as I think I've made up my mind, I see some fantastic shots from the opposite camera which sways me back.

Reaction score
I had a d50 for a while and I really loved it. It ended up getting stolen out of a friends car and i went a year with no camera. I finally owned up and spent the money on a new one. I was going to go buy the D50 again but decided to go with the canon rebel Xt since theres good things about both. I ended up returning the xt for an XTi since the price was almost identical and never regretted my decision yet. I love it. Love the features better then the D50. The only thing I liked better about the D50 was the way it felt in my hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Click

This guy is excellent for reviews, I've posted his site here before (I should get comission...) He gets down to real comparisons in the lower half of the page "My Personal Preferences". Like people have said, it's a personal choice and both companies make great camera's.

M

MacHeadCase

I really like Jeff Keller's reviews and I trust him for being unbiased. Just IMO though comparing the Canon Digital Rebel, that came out in 2003, with the Nikon D50 which was launched in 2005 isn't a real comparison as digital camera technology leaps in one year'S time. A real fair comparison would be to compare the Digital Rebel XT, maybe, with the D50. Anyway. here are the links to the reviews I mentioned earlier:

DCRP Review: Canon Digital Rebel

DCRP Review: Nikon D50

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display

I'm glad to see a Canon person who can be objective. I shoot Nikon and really only went Nikon because my Film camera was a Nikon and I wanted to be able to use my lenses that I already had. That being said, now that I know more, I will probably stay Nikon as I just feel that overall they are more user friendly, and have much better designed camera bodies when it comes to feel and comfort IMO. (at least at the entry and semi-pro level)

I will say that for a good while, Nikon had some significant noise problems at high ISOs. However, Nikon has made great improvements in this area and I expect them to only get better at it. My D200 performs great all the way to ISO 1000. (I rarely go above that) Canon and the CMOS sensor generally have and still do (but not by much now) preform better at high ISOs, especially with the Full Frame sensored 5D and 1Ds Mark II.

However, I do not think Canon has better glass than Nikon. I am not sure which brand has more choices, but as for quality I think Nikon has the edge. And I am not alone there. Hence Canon bodies having an adaptor available to mount Nikon glass on the Canon body. There is no adaptor the other way around. Also there is no "top of the line" Nikon glass as Canon has with their "L" series. All Nikon glass, is top of the line glass. Typically sports photographers go Canon for the 8.5 Frames Per Second @ a full 8.2 megapixel resolution, not necessarily because their telephoto glass is better. Nikon does not match that fps rate. The D2X(s) will shoot 8 fps, but at a 6 megapixel center frame crop mode and the D2H(s) will shoot 8 fps at full resolution, but that model only has a 4.3 megapixel sensor. That and that alone, (I believe) is the reason most sports people shoot Canon. Nikon just has no true equivalent to match Canon in that area.

That being said, if I could afford it I'd have my Nikon equipment and some Canon gear. I'd love to have the best of both worlds!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will probably stay Nikon as I just feel that overall they are more user friendly, and have much better designed camera bodies when it comes to feel and comfort IMO. (at least at the entry and semi-pro level)
Ergonomics are huge, and everyone will have their own take on how any given camera body will fit in their hands. Holding one is the best thing to do, any camera your thinking of getting.
I will say that for a good while, Nikon had some significant noise problems at high ISOs. However, Nikon has made great improvements in this area and I expect them to only get better at it. My D200 performs great all the way to ISO 1000. (I rarely go above that) Canon and the CMOS sensor generally have and still do (but not by much now) preform better at high ISOs, especially with the Full Frame sensored 5D and 1Ds Mark II.
I will strongly disagree here. Nikon has commited themselves to the DX format and has no where to go with it. You cannot fit more pixels into the same sized sensor without having noise issues. I recently had several RAW images sent to me shot with different Canon bodies to compare with my own gear and have to say that the 5D, 1Ds Mark II, and 1D Mark IIn camera bodies do much better at high ISO than either the D200 or D2x. Nikon will not improve upon this unless they change sensor format to something like Canon's 1.3x on the Mark IIn or full frame. This alone may have me switching over in the not too distant future, as I like to shoot with higher ISO's and would like to have more detail in the images after noise reduction.

The difference is in the size of the "Grain" you get from the bodies. The noise grain from the Nikon cameras is thicker whereas the Canon high end bodies have a nice smaller grain.

The lower end Canon's have no advantage that I could see over the Nikon bodies.
However, I do not think Canon has better glass than Nikon. I am not sure which brand has more choices, but as for quality I think Nikon has the edge. And I am not alone there. Hence Canon bodies having an adaptor available to mount Nikon glass on the Canon body. There is no adaptor the other way around. Also there is no "top of the line" Nikon glass as Canon has with their "L" series. All Nikon glass, is top of the line glass.

Not true at all, the Canon L glass has that nice red stripe to let people know you spent the money on the good stuff. Nikon has a gold stripe around their premiere glass, basically any of the glass with a fixed aperture is their high end stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.