iPod Mini (First Gen) question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) 400 MHz
Next week i'll be recieving a iPod Mini (First Gen) & have a question concerning connecting it to my Power Mac G4. My Power Mac G4 is a Gigabit Eithernet, with Mac OS 10.3.9 Panther installed. However it doesn't have built-in USB 2.0. Is the iPod Mini compatable with a USB 2.0 PCI card installed in my Power Mac G4? Will it both charge & sync when connected this way? Thank you for any help anyone can share. :headphone Ghostwolf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Ghostwolf said:
Next week i'll be recieving a iPod Mini (First Gen) & have a question concerning connecting it to my Power Mac G4. My Power Mac G4 is a Gigabit Eithernet, with Mac OS 10.3.9 Panther installed. However it doesn't have built-in USB 2.0. Is the iPod Mini compatable with a USB 2.0 PCI card installed in my Power Mac G4? Will it both charge & sync when connected this way? Thank you for any help anyone can share. :headphone Ghostwolf

I have a MDD G4 and I installed a PCI USB 2.0 card for my video iPod. Works beautifully and cost $20 :)

OP
Ghostwolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deus_ex_machina said:
I have a MDD G4 and I installed a PCI USB 2.0 card for my video iPod. Works beautifully and cost $20 :)

Thank you Deus_ex_machina for the help. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also, the iPod Minis came with FireWire. The newer iPods only can use FireWire for Charging the iPod, but my iPod mini works with Firewire and quite well. That is an option also. I would still say get the USB 2.0 card as most everything made today uses and really needs USB2.

OP
Ghostwolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iPod Mini (reconditioned) arrived from Apple this afternoon. I was happily surprised when i opened the box to see that they included a firewire cord, & recharge block. When i was reading the description in their online store, those two items were not included in the list of what comes with it. The firewire cord & recharge block will certainly be nice for recharging without needing to use my G4 to do so. I did buy the USB 2.0 card & installed it a couple days ago. When transfering songs to the iPod i think i'll just stay with the USB 2.0. Thank you both for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.