Keeping iTunes library up to date

S

SHNAKE

Ok so lately I have been expanding my music folder and have run into an anoying problem. I have a rather large folder of 100+ gigs so I download my music to a separate folder in order to keep track of my new music. After it is done I put it in its respective folder in my organization scheme inside my music folder. The problem is that this often takes a while to transfer and I would rather not have to wait until it transfers and then manually drag it into my itunes library. Is there any way of setting it up without having itunes consolidate my library, so that the folder would recognize whenever I add any music files to it and automatically add them to my iTunes library? There is a pc application called itunes library updater that appears to do what I want but I haven't found a mac equivalent. Any help would be much apreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
iTUNES > FILE > ADD TO LIBRARY. I am failing to understand why it is hard to add the music to you library once you have it organized. I have over 600Gb of music and I understand it can be slow, but it's not that slow.

OP
S

SHNAKE

I am transfering the files from where i download them (my macbooks hd) to an external drive on my network. Say i am transfering 5gb of music, that will take a while. I can't add the files to my library until they finish transfering to my external drive because if i do the paths will be wrong and they won't play in itunes. Rather than waiting 20minutes until they transfer and THEN dragging them into iTunes to be added to my library I figured that there should be some applescript or automator action or whatever that would let me move the folder from my downloads folder to my music folder and then add the folder to my itunes library without my having to remember which folders i recently transferred and then having to remember to add them to my library. I could accomplish the same thing by simply moving the folders over and then adding my entire music folder to the itunes library all over again but that seems like a very inefficient means to my end.

OP
I

iLoki

SHNAKE said:
I am transfering the files from where i download them (my macbooks hd) to an external drive on my network. Say i am transfering 5gb of music, that will take a while. I can't add the files to my library until they finish transfering to my external drive because if i do the paths will be wrong and they won't play in itunes. Rather than waiting 20minutes until they transfer and THEN dragging them into iTunes to be added to my library I figured that there should be some applescript or automator action or whatever that would let me move the folder from my downloads folder to my music folder and then add the folder to my itunes library without my having to remember which folders i recently transferred and then having to remember to add them to my library. I could accomplish the same thing by simply moving the folders over and then adding my entire music folder to the itunes library all over again but that seems like a very inefficient means to my end.

I think this is what your after.. If not there are plenty of scripts on this site, you might find something useful.

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts07.php?page=4#filemanager

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.