Problem connecting to Airport with Windows - What's a WEP?

A

Aaron Mayfield

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro - I can connect to the internet through my Airport Extreme - no problem. But I'm having problems connecting when I'm booted up in Windows. Its asking me for WEP Key...I don't know what that is - and I can't find anything in the manuals. Anyone know what I need to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Aaron Mayfield said:
I recently purchased a MacBook Pro - I can connect to the internet through my Airport Extreme - no problem. But I'm having problems connecting when I'm booted up in Windows. Its asking me for WEP Key...I don't know what that is - and I can't find anything in the manuals. Anyone know what I need to do?

What ed724 said, it's a type of encryption. All its asking for is the password key to connect to your router. Enter it in Windows (Network Connections) and they'll play fine. :)

Reaction score
you must have set up WEP on your Airport when you first set it up -- check to see if what the password is using the Network utility under System Preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.