iPhoto ate my Desktop

B

Beeker

My bad of course.

I hate to be the newbie looking for help on his first thread, but let's see if there is some hope out there for this mess I hope to undo.

I overwrote my desktop by exporting an iPhoto file without labeling it and ignored the warning that the file "desktop" existed. Lost all my desktop files because they were replaced by the iPhoto file.

I have yet to turn off my mac (OS X v.10.2.8). File Find came up with nothing. I have Norton Utilities, but I need to restart in order to run, and I don't have the cohonais to proceed because I'm not sure if it will help this situation becasue the files were never trashed or lost, just overwritten.

Any hope, or do I kiss my files goodbye?

zal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)
thats weird
there shouldn't be a way to do that
but theres a good chance you can retrieve them with some sort of utility program

OP
B

Beeker

I'm hoping when I reboot, everything will magically reappear, but I'm going to wait until I'm absolutely sure, or I get a few shots down to give me the courage. Thanks for the relpy Zal!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Check the trash can?

OP
B

Beeker

Just to confirm, I spoke with someone from help desk and my screw up was permanent. No recovery program could help. All files gone bye bye. iPhoto sucks to even allow the option of overwriting the desktop, but at the end its still my dumbass fault which burns me even more!!

Reaction score
Yeah it's a bit of a sick thing that the Desktop is a simple folder or file that's not really hidden and stacked away - very un-OSX-ish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
read the warnings!

but bad luck

OP
B

Beeker

Yogi, definitely something "very un-OSX-ish" (good one)
I hear you Chris, won't let warnings go a second time...that's for sure!

Reaction score
It's sad, because it's Finder residue from NexTStep, and that code/concept is about 10 years old. It's time OSX takes on new approaches like SymphonyOS Linux does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.