Ive had my mac for a month.... help

Reaction score
it just feels that osx is getting slower and slower, it seems like bootup times take quit a bit longer. it use to be 20 seconds at most now its well over a minuet, till im up and running and browsing the internet. i installed bootcamp a couple days ago to run cs2 in. untill cs3 comes out. could that be why? would reinstalling osx help? kinda a bummer. i dont have many programs installed on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
did it happen as soon as you installed boot camp or quite a time after?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only thing installing Bootcamp does to bootup speed at least on my Core Duo Mini is, right at the beginning it takes a few seconds before it loads the default OS where it used to jump right into OSX. Does not bother me at all and gives me time to hit the option key if I want to boot into Windows. Even with that small delay, I would say 25 seconds to boot. For sure not a Minute.

Reaction score
Do you know that you don't have to switch off your macbook pro? You can just put it into sleep and it wakes up very fast. A lot of people do this, I do it with my powerbook, I have never turned it off, and I only reboot it when I have to for system updates. Your macbook pro won't use much battery power when asleep (my powerbook can last about a week in sleep from a full charge i think). Mac notebooks can be safely transported this way too (ie, in a backpack) and they don't generate any heat while asleep.

OP
B
Reaction score
zeta101 said:
Do you know that you don't have to switch off your macbook pro? You can just put it into sleep and it wakes up very fast. A lot of people do this, I do it with my powerbook, I have never turned it off, and I only reboot it when I have to for system updates. Your macbook pro won't use much battery power when asleep (my powerbook can last about a week in sleep from a full charge i think). Mac notebooks can be safely transported this way too (ie, in a backpack) and they don't generate any heat while asleep.
ya i let it sleep quite a bit. but when i boot into windows then have to switch over after i edit all my photos. can be a pain. but you make a good point, right now my mac is running fine. although i seem to get the pinwheel quite a bit along with some programs locking up..... GRRRR

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.