iTunes Library Randomly Jumps Songs When Skipping Track

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I've found that when I listen to music in iTunes, instead of playing in alphabetical order (sorted by Artist) in my library, it jumps to random songs in no particular order.

I am running the latest version of iTunes on OS 10.3.9 on my G3 400MHz DV iMac.

It used to work fine before, I don't know if some setting has accidentally been changed or something. This happens if I click the next button, use the right arrow on the keyboard or the song finishes.

For example, if I listen to a song by 3 Inches Of Blood (at the start of my library), after it finishes or if I skip forward to the next song (which should be another 3IOB song, the next in the album), it jumps to AC/DC, then if I press again it goes to a random song by Motorhead, then Slayer, then Chimaira, then Iron Maiden, then Anthrax (for example). It is totally random with no set order.

This only happens when I am listening from my library. If I use the Party Shuffle or a playlist, it goes fine in order.

Any help appreciated, it is very annoying!

D

devo

could be pretty obvious, but is itunes set to play in random mode on the library screen? it will be in the lower left hand corner, the buttons with the arrows..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
It is on shuffle mode... :/
lmaorofllol

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Ah you were right! Such a simple solution.

(I kinda feel a bit stupid now, but oh well!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
It's okay. We all have our moments.
You just have worse ones.

lol i'm only kidding. :D

Reaction score
Well I too have the same problem, but I do not have random selected, it is definitely OFF.
I have not playlists.. it is playing from the top level music library
Click to play the first song in any album
Use Arrow key to jump to the next track and it jumps to the same song.

Have tried with and without all of he modifier keys and no joy.

Finally found that it was jumping to the next song that had a Tick/Check in the Check/Uncheck column.

Bloody pain, as I want to only sync a small selection of songs to the iPod, but still play them all.
Even if I select play album...it does not. It plays the first song from an album (which is unchecked) then when that track finishes starts playing the next track.

If I try Select all tracks, right click and select Check All, then iTunes just freezes up and Force Quit shows iTunes (not responding)

There is about 6000 tracks in ALAC format.

Is there a way to play all songs while only having certain tracks Checked for syncing?
Every time I select all tracks

It always jumps to the

Reaction score
You could always add a certain bit of text to the comment box of songs that you do not want to sync to your iPod. For instance, write "do not sync" in the Comment box. Then make a new "Smart Playlist" (File > New Smart Playlist, or Shift + New Playlist button) and set the rule as [Comment] [does not contain] ["do not sync"]. In the iPod settings, check off only that playlist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.