moving iphoto

E

eastwinn

Please help,
I was wondering if you can move iphoto to a second internal hard drive or an external hard drive and still function properly. My primary hard drive is almost full, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Moving some applications can cause upgrade problems. If you search the forums you may find suggestions on creating a special link to a new location that could be on a second drive.

I'd suggest you move some of your data to that second drive. Things like downloaded movies and disc images that you don't need on your primary drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
iPhoto & the iPhoto library are 2 distinct folders...

You can just move your entire iPhoto library library folder off onto an external drive and tell iPhoto to access it there...

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
iPhoto & the iPhoto library are 2 distinct folders...

You can just move your entire iPhoto library library folder off onto an external drive and tell iPhoto to access it there...

How!! Please tell!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Move the iPhoto directory (not the application, the folder in your pictures folder) to the external drive

hold down option and click on the iPhoto app icon to launch it. You will be prompted to either create a new library or choose a library, choose a library and point it to your external

Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
Move the iPhoto directory (not the application, the folder in your pictures folder) to the external drive

hold down option and click on the iPhoto app icon to launch it. You will be prompted to either create a new library or choose a library, choose a library and point it to your external

Hmmm. My library is not in the same format on by external HD. The folders do not present themselves in the same way?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It should be the exact same folder setup. You should have just dragged the iPhoto Library folder from your system disk to the External Hard Drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.