Shutdown Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
Hi guys, this is my first post.

A strange phenomenon has occurred on two occasions when shutting down my Macbook and, although I have owned an iMac for 8 months, it has got me scratching my head. I’m not sure if it significant, but on both occasions I was running off battery, which was quite low. Anyway, here goes:

i) I shut down the MacBook, and wait for it to cool down before putting it in the bag. ii) After 10-15minutes, the casing is still very warm.
iii) I press the power button and nothing happens.
iv) I press the Apple and Power button simultaneously, and it starts up
v) A message appears on screen saying the OSX shut down unexpectedly and asks me to report it to Apple.

The first time this happened, I thought it was a fluke/ something I’d done. But when it happened again yesterday, I was rather worried.

Any ideas??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Contact apple, get it fixed.

It sounds like it might be a hardware issue to me...

M

Metzli

MacBook shuts down or won't start

I just got my MacBook after not using a Mac since the Mac Classic - (went to PC's) anyway - It's been a week and I have been in the honeymoon period.

But I guess it's over.

Last night it shut down (having a full charge) without a warning.
It won't start unless I hold the power button down - it beeps and then it starts, however, I contacted Apple today and after trying different things it seems like it will start when the batteryis out and connected.
With the battery inside, if it starts, it won't go past the getting to the finder and it shuts down (no warning).

I live on an island with no apple stores - only re-sellers - So they would charge me and arm and a leg for trouble shooting.

Apple is sending me a battery next week.

I hope thats the end of that.

Any Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Metzli said:
I just got my MacBook after not using a Mac since the Mac Classic - (went to PC's) anyway - It's been a week and I have been in the honeymoon period.

But I guess it's over.

Last night it shut down (having a full charge) without a warning.
It won't start unless I hold the power button down - it beeps and then it starts, however, I contacted Apple today and after trying different things it seems like it will start when the batteryis out and connected.
With the battery inside, if it starts, it won't go past the getting to the finder and it shuts down (no warning).

I live on an island with no apple stores - only re-sellers - So they would charge me and arm and a leg for trouble shooting.

Apple is sending me a battery next week.

I hope thats the end of that.

Any Ideas?

Sounds like the battery from what you've described. Good luck :d

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Contact apple, get it fixed.

It sounds like it might be a hardware issue to me...

I took it to the Regent Street Apple Store on Friday and they ran all sorts of tests. Could not isolate the problem - battery/ hardware/software all apparently fine. the only thing they found were a number of Corrupt Widgets!! I tried to replicate the problem over the weekend. I even briefly blocked the ventillation holes to try and make it overheat - but of course the thing worked faultlessly. At least I have the fault logged with Apple just incase it reoccurs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, keep an eye on it and see how you go...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I have an idea that may help you here:
When you shut down your MacBook, wait for five seconds before closing the lid. When I first got mine I would close it right after the screen went black and it would be very warm with a very low battery after I pulled it out of my bag. It turns out that the laptop was basically going into sleep seconds before it was actually shut down and this was causing all of my problems. Ever since I started waiting to close the lid it works just fine.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eddiddiums said:
I have an idea that may help you here:
When you shut down your MacBook, wait for five seconds before closing the lid. When I first got mine I would close it right after the screen went black and it would be very warm with a very low battery after I pulled it out of my bag. It turns out that the laptop was basically going into sleep seconds before it was actually shut down and this was causing all of my problems. Ever since I started waiting to close the lid it works just fine.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.