New to Apple, do I need a Antivirus program?

A

alexfair

I purchased my Mac Book Pro online and am waiting for it in the mail. Should i get an antivirus software, if so which ones are good?

I got a 15.4 inch mac book pro, 2.16Ghz, 2GB of ram 100GB 7,200RPM hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if you will be networked with, or share files with a windows computer, you should get AV software so you do not spread any viruses that are not affecting your mac, I recommend intego virus barrier, stay away from norton products, and don't install windows on your MBP.
kidding about the last one, it's your choice, but that can get you viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
alexfair said:
I purchased my Mac Book Pro online and am waiting for it in the mail. Should i get an antivirus software, if so which ones are good?

I got a 15.4 inch mac book pro, 2.16Ghz, 2GB of ram 100GB 7,200RPM hard drive.
I suggest ClamXav. It's free, open source. You might wanna read this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
just out of curiosity, if your actual use of the internet connection on your pc partition on your mbp is limited to gaming, do you need any anti-virus protection at all? Is windows at least that secure?

I've never owned a PC, just used them a few times, so I wouldn't know much about them!

OP
A

alexfair

Thank you all, is there any other software that is must on a new Mac Book Pro, I have Microsoft Office 2004 already anything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.