Intel Mac Pro to run on the Xeon 5100 Series Chips (Woodcrest)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Found elsewhere on the web:

AppleInsider claims they have confirmation that Apple will be using Intel's Xeon 5100 series processors, also known as "Woodcrest" to power their next generation Intel-based Mac Pro Workstations.

Previous claims indicated that the Mac Pro would continue the Quad-core tradition set by the latest batch of PowerMac G5's. However, in order for an Intel-based "Quad" to be developed, a multi-processor machine would be required, which inherently leaves out the use of Core 2 Duo "Conroe" based microprocessors, as they do not support multi-processor configurations.

Of note, ThinkSecret has maintained that they believe the Mac Pro will utilize Core 2 Duo (Conroe).

Additionally, AppleInsider speculates that Conroe may be used in a future iMac revision, while Merom will be used in future MacBook Pros and Yonah will remain in the MacBook and Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, this should be interesting to see what come out.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
yeah their saying the highest model willbe , a quad , 5100 xeon, thats rediculous , but you never know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I suspect it will be, and it might even make my Quad look inexpensive too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I used to work at Intel in the processor division that made these chips. I can tell you that this information is indeed accurate, regarding the next Pro Mac using the Xeon proc. Those suckers are gonna *scream* in a quad configuration. :)

Reaction score
Osiris22x said:
I used to work at Intel in the processor division that made these chips. I can tell you that this information is indeed accurate, regarding the next Pro Mac using the Xeon proc. Those suckers are gonna *scream* in a quad configuration. :)

That is the best news I've heard all day!!! That's great! I was hoping for a quad-core Woodcrest "Mac Pro'.

**** Apple crack!!! Now I'm gonna be out some real $$$ when this thing comes out. I'll bet the thing is going to be lightning fast.

G

G.9

Is Woodcrest Intel's current Itanium processor? God... I saw on newegg that one Core 2 Extreme processor from Intel costs $1300... I wonder then, what will this Woodcrest/Itanium cost? So the processor goes at 2600... with hdd, bumping to 2750, memory up to 2850... video card 3100... rest of the components, including the case 3500. That's 200 above the current starting price. Do you think they'll release a black Mac Pro... and stamp on a $150 color price premium? >.<

In addition, for those of you who are planning/already have quads... what do you use them for? Personally, I think they are overkill... especially for the price. But that depends on usage. I only do light gaming (planning to run Vista on it when it comes out), web design, music production, and podcasting. When I'm developing, I usually have a lot of apps open... like Photoshop, ImageReady, Dreamweaver, and Flash running all at the same time... along with say iTunes and Mozilla Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G.9 said:
Is Woodcrest Intel's current Itanium processor?

No, it is the follow on to the current line....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I probably don't use mine for everything I could. I've been ripping my DVD collection to iPod Video format, so crunching with 4 processors makes it go much faster. I got mine for less than $3000 from Apple, so it wasn't a bad deal.

The prices on those Woodcrests are pretty steep. I would expect to see the initial Mac offering in 2.66 or 3 Ghz...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say with the music production and Photoshop, not to mention DVD ripping, you might be a good candidate. The question is, how much are you willing to pay for an Intel Quad? I suspect they will be steep, steeper than the current models....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might be in luck then.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.