Desktop Icons?

F

fjm222

Hey Guys, just got my first mac and im loving it. I am still trying yo figure a few things out with the desktop. I have several icons on my desktop that I would like to move to the dashboard and then delete from the desktop. Everytime I move the icon to the dash and then try to move the desktop icon to the trash it deletes the entire application from my computer.

One other question... How come an icon that looks like a drive shows up when certain programs are running. For example when I run msn messenger a drive icon apppears on the desktop and when i move it to the trash it asks if I want to eject the drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If the desktop icons are shortcuts, delete them, find the actual App (in your Applications folder) and drag it to the dock, it will then stay. If the icons on the desktop are not shortcuts but actual apps, put them in your Applications folder and then drag them to the dock.

When that drive image mounts on the desktop, open it and pull the application off of it. You can put it anywhere, but your Applications folder is likely the best place. Once the app is copied, you can delete the drive icon and anything that may have a .dmg after it with the same name. This is how you install an app in OSX.

OP
F

fjm222

Thanks for all the help!

baggss said:
If the desktop icons are shortcuts, delete them, find the actual App (in your Applications folder) and drag it to the dock, it will then stay. If the icons on the desktop are not shortcuts but actual apps, put them in your Applications folder and then drag them to the dock.

When that drive image mounts on the desktop, open it and pull the application off of it. You can put it anywhere, but your Applications folder is likely the best place. Once the app is copied, you can delete the drive icon and anything that may have a .dmg after it with the same name. This is how you install an app in OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.