How to retrieve Entourage emails from hard drive?

Reaction score
Just recently my Entourage stopped working, as well as internet and all Classic programs. They all give me the "unexpectedly quit" message box when I try to start them. After checking it out, our computer guy decided the computer has a bad disk and ordered me a new G5. I need to get all my old Entourage emails (and address book if possible) off my old Mac and onto my new one. Can anyone tell me how to do this? If I grab the "Database" file (HD>Microsoft User Data>Office X Identities>Main Identity>Database)on my hard drive and move it to the network, and then drag it onto my new Mac, will that do the trick? I can't afford to lose all my emails and without being able to open Entourage, I can't even view and print them. Thanks for any help/guidance

Reaction score
Copy the whole folder Microsoft User Data to the new drive. If you can get it to the new one (not corrupted by old drive) you will have all your old mail, calendars, to-do lists etc.

OP
N
Reaction score
cradom said:
Copy the whole folder Microsoft User Data to the new drive. If you can get it to the new one (not corrupted by old drive) you will have all your old mail, calendars, to-do lists etc.

I don't have a cd burner on my old machine and our company network barely has any space left, so it won't let me copy the entire Microsoft User Data file onto it. I was able to just drag over the database file, ruler, signatures and mailing list file. I have several "Old Database" files and Cache files from rebuilds done previously on my old machine - all of which are large files. Can I set up my new mac and drag over the database, ruler, signatures and mailing list files into my new Microsoft User Data file and expect all my old emails to show up in Entourage, or is there something special I need to do in order for the emails to show up?

J

JunMacTech

nmr1279 said:
Just recently my Entourage stopped working, as well as internet and all Classic programs. They all give me the "unexpectedly quit" message box when I try to start them. After checking it out, our computer guy decided the computer has a bad disk and ordered me a new G5. I need to get all my old Entourage emails (and address book if possible) off my old Mac and onto my new one. Can anyone tell me how to do this? If I grab the "Database" file (HD>Microsoft User Data>Office X Identities>Main Identity>Database)on my hard drive and move it to the network, and then drag it onto my new Mac, will that do the trick? I can't afford to lose all my emails and without being able to open Entourage, I can't even view and print them. Thanks for any help/guidance

Boot the old computer into Target Disk Mode ( hold T at startup ) Connect it via Firewire to the new machine. The new machine should pick it up as a firewire drive. Move the data from the old machine to the new machine. :biohazard

OP
N
Reaction score
JunMacTech said:
Boot the old computer into Target Disk Mode ( hold T at startup ) Connect it via Firewire to the new machine. The new machine should pick it up as a firewire drive. Move the data from the old machine to the new machine. :biohazard

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I do not have the ability to connect via firewire (our computer guy isn't helping me with this and i only have what's in my office). I drug the database file from my old Mac onto my new one, into my Main identity and of course my old emails aren't magically appearing. Is there anyway to get it to work this way? Can I import the old database on the hard drive into Entourage somehow?

J

JunMacTech

nmr1279 said:
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I do not have the ability to connect via firewire (our computer guy isn't helping me with this and i only have what's in my office). I drug the database file from my old Mac onto my new one, into my Main identity and of course my old emails aren't magically appearing. Is there anyway to get it to work this way? Can I import the old database on the hard drive into Entourage somehow?

Im pretty sure I can walk you through this if you:
(a) Have the old machine still
(b) Have a firewire cable

Let me know, you can email me too if you need.
[email protected]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.