Ridiculous Wireless Question

D

dupressdsu

As being posted in this topic....I am a trulely PC guy and thats where all my knowledge rests.

I need to have a wireless internet setup for my macbook. I ran an 802.11g card, which I suppose is more or less the same thing as the Airport Card? Also I used to have a PCMCIA Wireless Cell card for internet and that no longer will work as the MB doesn't have that slot. What can I do for internet at my home for wireless and what can I do for mobile internet like my Sprint/PCMCIA slot card equivalent?

Thanks again

Reaction score
dupressdsu said:
As being posted in this topic....I am a trulely PC guy and thats where all my knowledge rests.

I need to have a wireless internet setup for my macbook. I ran an 802.11g card, which I suppose is more or less the same thing as the Airport Card? Also I used to have a PCMCIA Wireless Cell card for internet and that no longer will work as the MB doesn't have that slot. What can I do for internet at my home for wireless and what can I do for mobile internet like my Sprint/PCMCIA slot card equivalent?

Thanks again

Hello :)

My Airport on my macbook is just as fast as the wireless from my 802.11g (at least that I notice but I guess it depends on the types of applications you are running/browsing). As for the laptop I believe you can buy a cable and connect your cell phone and connect through your cell phone instead of the card. Or there might be an adapter for the card? Sorry I didn't give any concrete answers but just wanted to share some thoughts with you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Get a bluetooth cellphone and access the net through the phone (unsure of speed, though).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
I connect to the internet through my cell phone with bluetooth. It's not that great though. Basically dial up. But I don't think I have it set up 100% and I don't have internet access as part of my plan so that's probably why it's so slow. It does work very well though. And it's nice to not have to plug anything in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16ghz 15" MacBook Pro, black 30gb ipod video, black 2gb Nano.
Am i reading this right? You need to connect your macbook to your wireless network? Why dont you just use its built in wireless?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Thank you Mister-Twoster, I was just wondering that.

IIRC, all MB and MBPs come with built in 802.11G wireless, better known as Airport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16ghz 15" MacBook Pro, black 30gb ipod video, black 2gb Nano.
baggss said:
Thank you Mister-Twoster, I was just wondering that.

IIRC, all MB and MBPs come with built in 802.11G wireless, better known as Airport.
Yep, mine did and it works GREAT from any where in my house. As for getting internet from your cell phone... im clueless.

OP
D

dupressdsu

I was wondering specifically on Cellular internet connections, as thats a pretty useful feature that I use regularly on my PC Notebook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
dupressdsu said:
I was wondering specifically on Cellular internet connections, as thats a pretty useful feature that I use regularly on my PC Notebook

if you have a pcmcia card for cellular internet, then you don't have many options to get it to work on a macbook. i've heard of external usb adapters for pcmcia cards, but i have no idea who sells them.

OP
D

dupressdsu

Thats what I'm waiting for...supposedly my cell carrier (Sprint) is going to release a usb card here shortly, but then I have to wonder if the drivers will be mac compatible.

OP
D

dupressdsu

Thanks, I hope they go to a USB version as I picked up the MacBook, I liked the compact size...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.