Question about wireless...

Reaction score
I am connected to internet cable wirelessly and have my airport express plugged in with cable attached to it across the room; however, I want to stream music to my remote speakers which are in another room, so they can't really be connected to this same airport express router - I have to use another router in the other room.

Question - is there any way to get them both running at the same time? I want to be on the internet in my office while streaming music to my family in the other room. Right now I can do them independently by switching between routers but would like them both working simultaneously. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Why can't you use the same router for the remote speakers? I can't think of a reason why it would be impossible to achieve this configuration with only one network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The only limitation would be if the Wired drop the APEx is connected to is in that room. Other than that, you should just be able to move the APEx to the other room. You could just buy another APEx and put it in the other room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, from the airport express product page (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/):

"Buy more than one AirPort Express Base Station and connect one to every stereo or set of powered speakers in your house — one to your stereo in your living room and another to a pair of powered speakers in your kitchen, for example. Its small size and affordability make it perfect for having more than one. Imagine being able to play your iTunes music on whichever speakers in your house you prefer — or all at once."

Getting a 2nd airport express seems the way to go if you can't move the cable modem close to the speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.07GHz; 30GB HDD; 512MB RAM; OS 10.4; 32MB VRAM; Combo Drive
...hmmm that seams weird. How many things are currently connected to your router? You should be able to connect at the very least 4 "items..." but since its wireless you should be able to connect tons of "items" to it... :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4
If I understand you problem correctly, you need to get another airport express. Attach it to you stereo and set it up in "client mode" to join your existing network. Then you can browse the net and stream itunes to the remote speakers at the same time. If you want to stream other audio sources you might need a little application called airfoil.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mattbokey said:
...hmmm that seams weird. How many things are currently connected to your router? You should be able to connect at the very least 4 "items..." but since its wireless you should be able to connect tons of "items" to it... :confused:

The airport express has a 3.5mm jack on it so you can plug a set of speakers into it and play music through them. The problem is that farmcock only has one airport express, and the speakers are too far from the cable modem. A 2nd airport express in client mode will fix it.

Reaction score
If I understood the situation correctly, he's got the APEx connected to his cable modem in room 1, but the speakers are in room 2. If you've got cable access in room 2, why not connect the modem in room 2 with the APEx, plug in your speakers, and surf wirelessly in room 1 (i.e., move the modem and base station in where the speakers are)?

If you can't access your cable in room 2, then a 2nd APEx will be needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.