• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Open Source Video Editing Software?

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone know of any decent open source software for editing video, that includes semi-professional controls? I have been using nvu for web design and the GIMP for photo work, but have yet to find video OSS that is up to scratch.

As a rough guide to what I am looking for, I need picture-in-picture, multi-track timeline and a range of output options. I am used to using Final Cut, and Pinnacle/Avid Liquid Edition on PC, but iMovie is too domestic and restrictive for the work that I do.

I have access to Windows and Tiger (on Intel), so am flexible about platform.

Any ideas appreciated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you could try compiling Cinelerra or Kino. Not sure about any that run natively on Windows or OS X that have available binaries, though.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ghostshadow said:
you can also try Jahshaka, http://www.jahshaka.org/ they have an OS X binary.

Hmmm...I tried it on Windows a year or so ago and it was totally buggy to the point of not working and I don't really have any programming experience...I'll give the OS X binary a go though....thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.