itunes and using files over a windows network

M

mayoko185

Would like to start off saying I just got a intel macmini and the last time I used mac was with mac os 9 and im loving this little (yet somehow very powerfull!) guy!

What my issue is im trying to import some mp3’s off a windows share. Im able to mount the windows share just fine and view the files and everything, when I try to import the mp3s into itunes (on the mac) it copys the files over to the mac. I don’t want that… I want itunes to import the mp3’s from the network share and read them from there instead of copying the files to the local mac HD.

If anyone has any suggestions or a way for me to do this id be much grateful!

P.S. My windows laptop imports the mp3s into itunes just fine from the share and does not copy anything to the local HD, which is why im so baffled why I can get the mac to emulate the same behavior. :headphone

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Keeping iTunes files in origional Location.

This has been convered here a few times but since you are new, here you go. Look at the picture of the iTunes Preferences. In the Advanced Tab under General, be sure that "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" is unchecked. Then reimport from your network share. It will then NOT add the files to your new Macs Hard Drive.

Hope this helps you.

...Dennis

Picture 1.jpg

OP
M

mayoko185

That did the trick! thanks

wow I totaly missed that option when I went through all the prefs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad I could help you. Enjoy your new Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.