Dvd Ripper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2Ghz 1GB ram 100GB hd
Whats a good program to compress dvds to sizes around 700mb and then place them on your ipod. I already have the program ISQUINT which turns normal files into mp4s but I need some program that can take a dvd which i insert into my computer and copy it to the desktop without all the extras like subtitles. Any help would be great Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Handbrake all the way........!

Everything I've ripped has been done with Handbrake and they all work on my iPod great....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Baggss, when you rip for your iPod do you deinterlace or no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not been, but a bunch of stuff I have been doing today I have selected it. I'll let you know if it makes any big difference.

M

menace3054

iRizzo said:
What steps are involved in the process of ripping dvds?

if its your dvd, then your allowed to make "backup" copies. mactheripper, available free from versiontracker.com or any of those sites, rips the dvd to your computer.
then to put it on your ipod, you would use handbrake or roxio popcorn 2, and to put it on a dvd, popcorn also works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Handbrake can rip the dvd directly to iPod format, no other software needed. Popcorn is good, unless the DVD has some sort of protection on it, then it won't work at all. So far I have found only one or two older DVDs that I have that popcorn will work on.

M

menace3054

baggss said:
Handbrake can rip the dvd directly to iPod format, no other software needed. Popcorn is good, unless the DVD has some sort of protection on it, then it won't work at all. So far I have found only one or two older DVDs that I have that popcorn will work on.

if you use mac the ripper first and then popcorn, it works well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Moving...

This is NOT a hardware question. Please post in the correct forum in the future. And please read the stickies...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.