Linking hard drives

J

JKrouth

I's getting to the point where my hard drive is filling up to the max, so I was wondering if its possible to 'daisy chain' external hard drives. A have a LaCie 250gig and am thinking about purchasing another but can I link them together?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you are saying plug one into the other and as soon as one is full automaticly go to the other one, I do not believe you can do that. AFAIK that can not be done, but what you can do is buy the other one, and plug it into the lacie you have now, it will mount both drives on your desktop with out wasting another port on your system. I am not sure how many times you can do this, but there is probably a limit. I have only hooked up 2 drives this way, so don't go buying 10 drives and hooking them all up, I can not gaurentee that they will all work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
no problem, glad I could help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
PowerBookG4 said:
If you are saying plug one into the other and as soon as one is full automaticly go to the other one, I do not believe you can do that. AFAIK that can not be done, but what you can do is buy the other one, and plug it into the lacie you have now, it will mount both drives on your desktop with out wasting another port on your system. I am not sure how many times you can do this, but there is probably a limit. I have only hooked up 2 drives this way, so don't go buying 10 drives and hooking them all up, I can not gaurentee that they will all work.

From HERE:

A USB system has an asymmetric design, consisting of a host controller and multiple daisy-chained devices. Additional USB hubs may be included in the chain, allowing branching into a tree structure, subject to a limit of 5 levels of branching per controller. No more than 127 devices, including the bus devices, may be connected to a single host controller. Modern computers often have several host controllers, allowing a very large number of USB devices to be connected. USB cables do not need to be terminated.

and from HERE:

How many devices can be connected with 1394?
With 1394 you can connect up to 63 devices together. When 1394.1 bus bridges become available, it will be possible to connect over 60,000 devices using 1394. Digital camcorders, surround sound processors, scanners, printers, hard disk audio recorders, videoconferencing cameras and disk drives all share a common bus connection, not only to an optional host computer, but to each other as well. Because of this, 1394 is a prime candidate for the "Home Network" standard initiated by VESA (Video Electronic Standards Association) and other industry associations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.