Partitioning and Folder Sharing

G

G.9

Can someone please confirm that these steps are correct?

Use the Apple BootCamp guide:
1. Step 1 (Updating Computer's System Software/Firmware) goes normally
2. Step 2 goes as written, except make three partitions... one for Mac OS X, one for XP, and one for my personal files I want accessible on both OS's. For the OS partitions, the amount of space available also means the amount of space available for programs, etc...?
3. Step 3 goes as written... Windows will be formatted as NTFS and the personal files folder will be formatted as Fat32.

So finally, there should be three viewable hard drives... one, the Mac OSX, the Windows XP, and personal files partitions?

And perhaps another option... the MacDrive tool... it basically works that so if I had the personal folder in Mac, without using a seperate partition, I could access it in XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yes
-chris

edit: to elaborate m ore on our responses everything you stated is right

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
no problem, good luck!

OP
G

G.9

Oh, and one last question... I've decided on using MacDrive to access the Mac hdd from Windows, and Parallels for Mac to read Windows. Does Parallels use the same Windows instance as the one you make in Boot Camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
G.9 said:
Oh, and one last question... I've decided on using MacDrive to access the Mac hdd from Windows, and Parallels for Mac to read Windows. Does Parallels use the same Windows instance as the one you make in Boot Camp?

no, you have to install xp again. parallels does it on a virtual hd in your library folder. and parallels can't use macdrive to see the mac hd. you have to set up a shared folder. here's an explanation of how to do it:

http://mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=237880#post237880

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.