can we bring back the FAQ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
rs2sensen said:
something dealing with Maintenance would be nice too! (running Chron scripts, file permissions, etc.) It would be nice to have both terminal commands, as well as software ideas, such as my favorite, YASU, or Cocktail.

Also...networking guide specific to mac. I had a lot of trouble with this when I first got my mac.

I like those ideas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i can go for installing and unistalling programs

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
hey guys....do you think we can get a few of these done by sunday July 16??? i am going to start on one or two right now and hopefully have them posted by this evening before i go to sleep.

i am also going to write one about virus/spyware/adware removal for windows because a lot of people have been using the windows again so i figure ill help them out and suggest some applications in it
-chris

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
schweb said:
Now remember, we need to group the FAQs in threads logically or we're going to have 2000 FAQ threads.

So for example "differences between MacBook and Powerbook" would go as a post in both the "Macbook FAQ" and "Powerbook FAQ".

The first step is to define the top level FAQs that we should start out with.

schweb i dont think i caught this post in its entirety before. so should we create the following FAQ's:

Macbook FAQ
Macbook Pro FAQ
DVD Copying FAQ
DVD Burning FAQ (maybe combine these two)
Installing/Uninstalling Applications FAQ
RAM...How Much and what kind do you need FAQ
Upgrading your older mac FAQ
Maintaining OS X FAQ

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
and this thread dies a quick death, my faq is almost done but i dont think anyone else is going to do anything.

someone prove me wrong
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
tell ya what, ill stick this thread until I remember to unstick it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
well, Im still working on my how to fix/diagnose vintage macs FAQ's and working on a product review, but I have been swamped with work lately... you did motivate me to continue working, so whenever I have free time I'll continue...and hope I get it done by the end of the year :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
macEfan said:
well, Im still working on my how to fix/diagnose vintage macs FAQ's and working on a product review, but I have been swamped with work lately... you did motivate me to continue working, so whenever I have free time I'll continue...and hope I get it done by the end of the year :p

Same here. It will get done, but I have to put it on the back burner until I get my current workload down!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
this FAQ will probably be helpful. I feel that people try to use the Search function on the forums but don't know how to properly use keywords to find their answers, but experienced surfers do. Same applies for using Google. Knowing how they work will yield better results than simply typing a question and expecting an intuitive response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
rs2sensen said:
Also...networking guide specific to mac. I had a lot of trouble with this when I first got my mac.

I'll work on a basic one - how to share files, how to share printers, how to share with Windows, etc.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yogi said:
Friends, Groundwork for this kind of thing has been laid: I'm trying to popularize it but invain. www..ch/switch

yogi, the problem is that we want people on OUR site to find all this information....i can easily refer people to other forums who have such information already laid out, but how does that help our forum??

rs2sensen is linking faq's to his own personal website but that is fine in my book because he is a frequent Mac-forums user
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
I didn't read the entire list of posts but, you could start a Forum for 'What should I buy?"

You can have a template that people take and fill in. Plus, since there isn't a thousand diff models to choose from, people could specify RAM, Gfx Card upgrades, PCI upgrades, Monitors...etc.

Just my thought.

Reaction score
That's a possibility, Books, but basically the "WTB" quiestions are pretty useless because people don't know how to make their own decisions. They are the one's who will be using the computer and should be able to judge. We can tell you that RAM is good for running more apps and hrad drive space is valuable for large videos etc etc. But we can't help decide unless we know the exact way how these people use computers, and that information is mostly lacking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
yogi said:
That's a possibility, Books, but basically the "WTB" quiestions are pretty useless because people don't know how to make their own decisions. They are the one's who will be using the computer and should be able to judge. We can tell you that RAM is good for running more apps and hrad drive space is valuable for large videos etc etc. But we can't help decide unless we know the exact way how these people use computers, and that information is mostly lacking.
I agree. They are about as useless as the "convince me to buy a Mac" threads.
People need to learn how to make up their own minds.

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
I agree. They are about as useless as the "convince me to buy a Mac" threads.
People need to learn how to make up their own minds.

Absolutely. Actually, these people probably already have made up their minds, and simply lack security. They aren't sure they made the right decision, and based ont his fact, Switchers need to be provided with a lto of information, ahrd facts. It's imporant to tell them why a Mac will work for them, but far more important to point out why and when it will simply NOT be the right choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Books said:
I didn't read the entire list of posts but, you could start a Forum for 'What should I buy?"

You can have a template that people take and fill in. Plus, since there isn't a thousand diff models to choose from, people could specify RAM, Gfx Card upgrades, PCI upgrades, Monitors...etc.

Just my thought.
http://www.buyersguide.rsensen.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
Sure..Just tell me some of the criteria you want to cover(Coach_z). Lately I've answered a couple RAM questions. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.