Defragmenting?

I

iKwak

On a Mac (iBook), how do we

1) defragment the main harddrive?
2) make a backup of the entire harddrive or certain folders? Would like to burn the backup.
3) optimize?
4) Any other procedure you guys take on a monthly basis?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
there is no 1 or 3 on macs.
only procedure I do on a monthly basis is just repair my disk permissions in the disk utility (Applications --> Utilities)

As for the backup i am not sure since i just have an external harddrive with all my important stuff on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
What I've used is the OS 9 versions of DiskWarrior and TechToolPro to defrag my OS X volume. Works great.

As far as backup…
If you want a snapshot of your OS X volume then use Carbon Copy Cloner. If you just want files then SilverKeeper is a good backup application.

Using Carbon Copy Cloner, I burn a backup of my OS X volume directly to DVD.

OP
B

Bluecrabby

Backups

I use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) every once, and a while, but it takes a while to work, so I mostly use Backup2 that came with my .Mac subscription, it comes pre-installed with critical backups folders, and allows you to select any others you'd like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.