osx

B

brainwash

i want to reinstsall my os
can any guide me through this with out me having to lose all my data?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac do you have and what version of OSX?

Normally you hold down the C key with the OSX CD/DVD in the drive and when it gets to the install options, select Archive and Install. It will leave all your data and settings there but just reinstall the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
just to make sure, why are you re-installing your os. Unlike windows, mac osx does not need to re-installed, unless there is a serious error, or there is a sale of the computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The one and only time I had to reinstall and used the Archive and Install was I tried some defragmenter on Tiger on my Mini and it messed Tiger up. Otherwise I have never had to do a reinstall with OSX.

I agree with powerbook G4, reinstalling OSX is Rare unless something really goes wrong.

OP
B

brainwash

thxs to all
i loaded the new version of acquition and it told me my java needed to be updated then a message came up saying i shoud reinstall my os

what y'all think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OK, what kind of Mac do you have and what version of OS X do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First. I've never heard of that software. Have you got a link?

Second. I've never heard of software saying you need to reinstall the OS, unless it requires a later version of the OS.

So as others have asked. What machine and OS X version (exact) are you running?

Have you checked to see if your version of OS X has any updates available for Java via software update?

OP
B

brainwash

xstep said:
First. I've never heard of that software. Have you got a link?

Second. I've never heard of software saying you need to reinstall the OS, unless it requires a later version of the OS.

So as others have asked. What machine and OS X version (exact) are you running?

Have you checked to see if your version of OS X has any updates available for Java via software update?
its updated!!!
http://www.acquisitionx.com/
is the website i down loaded the program from
1.8 ghz powerpc g5

thxs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'd look for another p2p application. This one seems to have it's issues right now. See http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15375&page=2 where a guy did re-install the OS. From how he says it, I don't think it helped.

Version Tracker is more informative than the developer site. I checked the release notes and couldn't find any mention of a Java fix. The site is very minimal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.