Giving up on the G5

C

carmender

:eek:neye: Having posted previously regarding fan noise and spontaneous shutdown w/ fans going full blast I've decided to give up on it. Tired of messing with it. It's been to two auth. repair centers and the problem can't be found much less fixed. From what I've read here this appears to be a common problem with G 5's. Had I known they are normally noisy I never would have bought it. I live in a rural area so could not check one out personnally. I bought online from the Apple store. Thanks for all the input. I have better things to do with my time besides fretting over this now useless 'rotten' Apple. I'm getting a Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I find that odd. My Quad has been whisper quiet and has never had an issue with the fans. What exactly have you done to try and resolve this, besides taking it to Apple? Did you do anything like a clean instal of the OS? The GSODS and Fan Ramp up are indicative of a kernal panic. If Apple says the hardware is good, then it is likely the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
baggss: That's because your quad has a water cooling system.

Carmender:

Bad luck with the G5, but at least you should still be able to sell it on ebay for a tidy amount...

The mini is an extremely quiet machine though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am sorry to hear that you are going to have to give up on it. have you sent it to, or brought it to, apple for them to fix? are you going to return it to them? or sell it?

\arent all g5's watercooled? i believe(or have thought) my dual 2.7 was watercooled.

all g5's are 'loud' per say, but not too much louder than most other computers. mine certainly does not keep me up at night or anything....although it does heat my room pretty well
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your Dual 2.7 is Watercooled but not the older lesser G5's. I think the Dual 2.5 was Water cooled also.

I have never heard a G5 that was working right that was loud at all. My PC's are loud and much louder no matter what than any G5 Tower that I have messed with. If you really stress the machine, sure the fans will kick up a bit, but not as loud as a High Performance PC. That is my experience anyway.

Reaction score
I know you probably tried this but............
Try opening the Energy Saver System Preferences panel, and click the Options tab. Click the Processor Performance pop-up menu, and set it to either Highest or Lowest -- anything other than Automatic.

OP
C

carmender

Abandoned G5

Aptmunich said:
baggss: That's because your quad has a water cooling system.

Carmender:

Bad luck with the G5, but at least you should still be able to sell it on ebay for a tidy amount...

The mini is an extremely quiet machine though!
Not interested in dealing with E-Bay. Don't want some buyer screaming at me when the Mac becomes 'Christine' if you read Stephen King novels. It's the orig. model w/ Power PC chip, 1.5 (?) and I added Ram to 512 from Apple. I really have not decided what to do with it. It was way more 'puter than I need when it worked. Thanks for the good comment about Minis being quiet. That's what I've longed for. I guess it's either the thrift store or try to sell it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.