Partition question

P

philbl

Hi,

If I partition and external HD will I erase the information on it?

I've got to get this right cos I've got 20gb of music in one iTunes folder on the external drive and if I get this wrong it's going to mean another week of copying my CD's accompanied by much swearing and alcohol.

I want to use the external drive for back up purposes as well and I'm told that it's better to back up to a partitioned drive.

Once again I thank you for your help.

Phil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes. Partitioning a drive using OS X's built-in disk utility will erase the existing partition and create new ones.

It is possible to non-destructively partition a drive, (i.e. without losing data) but it's still fairly complicated.

My advice: copy it to your internal drive (assuming you have the space), parition and then copy back. If you don't have the space - burn DVD's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
there is one utility called iPartition. its a shareware, but it will let you resize partitiond without erasing

Reaction score
Alcohol, swearing and music fill up most of my spear time. :cool:

Even if you did manually partition or use a program to non destructively partition the drive it's not 100% safe and is always recommended to backup the data before hand. I should think putting the itunes folder onto DVD's would be faster than re-loading all the CD's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.