Networking Problem!!! Arg!

J

JKrouth

Ok, so here is my problem. My friend just bought a mac mini and wants to run a broadband cord to it from her router. Only problem is that the router is on a different floor and is about 150 feet away. Wireless isn't an option, so is there any way to maybe splice two cords together? Maybe even buy a 150 foot cord? If anyone could grab some online pics or anything it would be appreciated!!!

:) Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
It would be cheaper to go wireless than to buy 150 feet of ethernet wire and a switch or hub if you need one. If there is only one port on the router you would need a switch or hub that could turn one port to two. Than you could run the wire. A switch will be faster than a hub generally. Why not wireless?

OP
J

JKrouth

Unless there is a way to switch the frequency, all of her phones are 2.4 ghz. I believe most routers are the same. She doesn't want to replace all of her phones. Also, the router is located on a different floor on the opposite side of the house.

Very bad setup I know. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
For that length you'll have to buy in bulk. Look HERE for starters. You can always sell the extra on e-bay. Radio Shack sells bulk as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
JKrouth said:
Unless there is a way to switch the frequency, all of her phones are 2.4 ghz. I believe most routers are the same. She doesn't want to replace all of her phones. Also, the router is located on a different floor on the opposite side of the house.

All my phones are 2.4GHz, and I run my wireless router just fine alongside them. There are 11 different standard 802.11* channels to choose from so finding one that doesn't conflict with the phones should be easy enough.

For a 150ft, cross-floor cabled network I'd install at least one repeater. It's going to be a costly business installing that and making sure it performs adequately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sometimes my Phones will block my wireless signal, or degrade it, and often my wireless will interfere with phone reception. I am simply going to buy 5.8Ghz phones to get around the problem all together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
JKrouth said:
Ok, so here is my problem. My friend just bought a mac mini and wants to run a broadband cord to it from her router. Only problem is that the router is on a different floor and is about 150 feet away. Wireless isn't an option,

Why not, I wonder?

so is there any way to maybe splice two cords together? Maybe even buy a 150 foot cord? If anyone could grab some online pics or anything it would be appreciated!!!

:) Thanks.

Last time I checked, CAT5 cable runs 30 cents a foot at Home Depot. The also sell the crimping tool and the plugs.You can run (theoretically) CAT5 up to a hundred meters/364 feet. On a run that long, you'll want to make sure not to loop or bend it to much, and when crossing power or phone lines, cross them at 90º, don't run them parallel. 150 ft is not a problem. I'm running 4 computers on two different floors in a 6,300 square foot house. (I'm also running an additional 802.11b WLAN and a couple of wireless phones on the same frequency range. Not a problem)

Do follow the directions on how to wire the plugs, don't assume "well, as long as they are both the same on each end, it won't matter"

RJ-45.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.