Can I upgrade my superdrive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Really liking this machine (iMac 20") however....

I don't know why they call the optical drive "super". (My machine has the Matshita UJ-846) IMHO it is inexcusably slow for a machine with the capabilities its shown me otherwise. Reads/burns my CD's at 24x max. -- about 1/2-speed compared with what I'd like. (Shortly before switching, I put a 52x lite-on in my PC for $40.00. And it does, in fact, burn data flawlessly at that speed.) My iMac does otherwise function flawlessly -- just this slow optical drive is irritating.

Is this drive user-upgradeable? Upgradeable via Apple techs?

I know I can get fast external drive but consider that a nuisance if I can replace internal drive with something better. Are there other considerations I need to take into account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
You can upgrade it, but it won't go any faster. iMacs use a laptop-sized CD drive. The fastest slimline CD drive I've ever heard of is 24x. Your best bet is to go with an external burner. That's what I did and performance is MUCH faster. Even ripping CDs over a Firewire connection is a major speed bump. I built my own using an enclosure and a burner. The enclosure I used supports both USB 2.0 and Firewire (Firewire is better imo) and costs about $50:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145654

Here's a good burner for $37:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101006

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
kaidomac said:
You can upgrade it, but it won't go any faster. iMacs use a laptop-sized CD drive......etc.....]

Thanks for this clear response. I'm "getting it" bit by bit. Will seek/examine other alternatives -- including yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Despite my love for the way they function, I'm beginning to think slot loading drives are the devil; they even add little artefacts to some CDs I rip, so I've had to go to a dedicated CD player for my music listening. Also, for the OP, I've heard that upgrading the Superdrive is one of the hardest things to do on a Mac, up there with the hard drive change in a laptop.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meyvn said:
...they even add little artefacts to some CDs I rip....

Haven't noticed this but will pay attention, now, upon learning of your experience.

Maybe in a year or so when the big-box G5 gets the Intel upgrade and the entire new line settles a bit, I'll go that direction. Something to be said for "full-size" components in larger user-serviceable boxes.

For now, think I'll purchase a fast external CD-burner and relegate the internal drive to DVD duties. (I hardly ever use DVD's)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
asolo said:
Haven't noticed this but will pay attention, now, upon learning of your experience.

Maybe in a year or so when the big-box G5 gets the Intel upgrade and the entire new line settles a bit, I'll go that direction. Something to be said for "full-size" components in larger user-serviceable boxes.

For now, think I'll purchase a fast external CD-burner and relegate the internal drive to DVD duties. (I hardly ever use DVD's)

Yeah, I use mine all the time. I just made a family video for a friend - used the external for using LightScribe to burn designs into the discs (about an hour per disc) and the internal for burning the video from an image. Nice little DVD cloning factory plus I have a spare drive in case the internal dies :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This question for those of you who are using external optical drives.....

My intention being to get a fast one...I would do this assuming the iMac is capable of getting the data to and from it at the increased speed. This was not a problem with the PC. Do I need to be wary with my iMac? (my machine specs to the left with my log-in name.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
My 20" IMac Matshita Superdrive writes at 56x CD and 8x DVD.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alexis said:
My 20" IMac Matshita Superdrive writes at 56x CD and 8x DVD.

I am not finding your claimed 56x CD write capability spec'd anywhere. Even the newest ones are spec'd at 24x. Can you say where you obtained this info? You're burning full CD's in 1.5 minutes, then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. In Toast, 56x is listed in the drop down menu:

DVD.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ignore that! As soon as you put in a CD it drops to 24x max.

I apologise. What a con!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Alexis said:
Ignore that! As soon as you put in a CD it drops to 24x max.

I apologise. What a con!
Yea until you put the media in toast will display every possible burn speed

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
Yea until you put the media in toast will display every possible burn speed

FYI....did purchase LaCie external burner. DVD burns at 16x. CD's at 48x. Does, indeed, deliver perfect burns at those speeds so bottleneck is the iMac's internal drive, not the rest of the machine. Easy plug 'n' play. I do mostly data CD's. Button-push through completion and drawer-open takes 2:55 for full disk. Problem solved.

Repeating: iMac's internal drive does perfect burns and is easy to use. My irritation was only speed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.