Can't upgrade OS X version any higher?

A

adam355

Hello,
I am a pc user, but am currently getting into my girlfriends powerbook. I have been trying to install new software, but everytime it says my OS version is out of date. Well when I try to install the new OS version, my version is too out of date. I think I have version 10.2.8, but I'm not positive, if someone could tell my how to locate what version I have thatd be great too. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
A

adam355

Thanks, I do have version 10.2.8. So why can't I upgrade to a higher version OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
what are the os requirements on the software? to be honest, i dont know if there is a 10.2.9 but if you want to upgrade past that, you would have to pay for it.

OP
A

adam355

michaelstumpf said:
what are the os requirements on the software? to be honest, i dont know if there is a 10.2.9 but if you want to upgrade past that, you would have to pay for it.

Well thats kind of lame because this laptop is only two years old and I cannot download new versions of quicktime, safari, exc. How much would it cost me to upgrade to the most up to date os version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
you can buy a copy of Tiger (10.4) for $129.

OP
A

adam355

michaelstumpf said:
you can buy a copy of Tiger (10.4) for $129.

Ok, thank you. Is there a way to buy older versions of software for 10.2.8 then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
is there anything specific you were looking for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
adam355 said:
Well thats kind of lame because this laptop is only two years old and I cannot download new versions of quicktime, safari, exc. How much would it cost me to upgrade to the most up to date os version?

If you or your girlfriend happen to be a student the discounts are excellent.

OP
A

adam355

deus_ex_machina said:
If you or your girlfriend happen to be a student the discounts are excellent.

We are both University students, do I contact the school or do I still go through apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
adam355 said:
We are both University students, do I contact the school or do I still go through apple?
i would check with the school first, they sometimes have better deals.

as for safari, ill see what i can find, but maybe someone who is also using 10.2.8 might be able to offer help faster

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Look on ebay. You should be able to get 10.4 for not much, plus you really should upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.