PC to Imac through Linksys Router

H

helduck

hi,

sorry to be a pain about posting yet another networking question:
my Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G is working fine with my pc. it is even setup to provide a wireless signal to my powerbook. my old iMac on the other hand can't find a way to connect to the server. it has no airport card. the message i get by trying to configure the settings is that the ip address is already in use by my pc. its the whole using your browser and doing the http://192.168.1.1 thing thats not working on my iMac. what do i need to configure on the router to allow it to be connected to two computers? ie computer 1 via lan to router via lan to dsl modem. i've tried a search on the forum but nothing's come up. any help would be appreciated. thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
how old's the iMac? Can you not directly connect it to the router via ethernet cable?

OP
H

helduck

deus_ex_machina said:
how old's the iMac? Can you not directly connect it to the router via ethernet cable?

the iMac is a G4 1ghz 15" Flat Panel. Not too old, bought it late 2003? And yes it is connected to the router via the ethernet cable. i'm just having trouble configuring an ip address for the router using the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I think you've got the network concept back-to-front in your head. You don't need to configure the router to support more than one connected computer - it supports 4 via cable and 32 via wireless out of the box. All you need to do is make sure you've got the network cables in the right sockets on the router.

There are 4 for connected machines, and 1 for the 'upstream' connection (in my case, my cable modem). I just plugged my macbook into one of the 4 connectors for PCs and it picked up an IP via DHCP. By default the IP you are given should be 192.168.1.100 or higher.

If you can't see the web GUI on 192.168.1.1 from the iMac, check the settings in the Network preferences. If you look at the TCP/IP tab, it should tell you that it's using DHCP and what IP address has been assigned. If this address starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then it has failed acquire an address from the router.

OP
H

helduck

thanks!!

all i needed was someone to tell me the DHCP option. everything is linked up beautifully now. now i can fileshare between my powerbook and iMac. thanks cazabam for helping a second time. :yinyang:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.