Did I get a good deal on this used iMac???

P

parmtree

Hello,

I just bought a used iMac G5

specs:
2.0 GHz, 20" G5 iMac (not intel)
2 GB ram
wireless keyboard and mouse
2 yrs of Applecare left (1 yr old)
250 GB HD

I got it for $1400 (canadian)

I'm not sure if that's a good deal. Do you think it's risky NOT buying a new mac with the intel chip. I'm worried new programs won't be compatible with this unit in the next couple of years.

thanks

parmtree

Reaction score
doesnt sound like THAT bad of a deal...i woulda went ahead and found someone who had a intel...but thats just me. you got the 20 inch screen which is nice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
That doesn't sound bad to me especially with the apple care and the specs. They go for about $850-1250 USD on ebay. so with the exchange rate and the extras you come out pretty good.

Congratulations on your new mac and welcome to the forums.

OP
M

menace3054

parmtree said:
Hello,

I just bought a used iMac G5

specs:
2.0 GHz, 20" G5 iMac (not intel)
2 GB ram
wireless keyboard and mouse
2 yrs of Applecare left (1 yr old)
250 GB HD

I got it for $1400 (canadian)

I'm not sure if that's a good deal. Do you think it's risky NOT buying a new mac with the intel chip. I'm worried new programs won't be compatible with this unit in the next couple of years.

thanks

parmtree

a few months ago, when apple was still selling intel macs, i set up a friend with a 2.0 GHz 20" iMac, it was like 1700 with NO ram, so figure with 2 GB add 200 bucks, then with apple care add like 150, so yea id consider that a good deal. my friend also chose to go with a powerpc, he didnt want to deal with any "potential" intel problems with the first revisions of the machines, and also, he didnt want to deal with rosetta since he would be using adobe programs a lot. enjoy your computer!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.