any fit/finish problems in your 14" G4 iBook?

T

tmjf_sifu

i am leaning away for the 12" and now looking at the 14" 933mhz model. does anyone have any complaints about the 14"?? thanks.

OP
J

jonnyturner

nope. excellent finish overall. i was going to go for the 12" and decided on the 14" like you. really glad i did. i think theyre bound to get hairline marks on them due to the highly polished finish but nothing to worry about and if you ever come to sell it then any light buffing fluid would bring it back to as good as new!

OP
T

tmjf_sifu

jonnyturner said:
nope. excellent finish overall. i was going to go for the 12" and decided on the 14" like you. really glad i did. i think theyre bound to get hairline marks on them due to the highly polished finish but nothing to worry about and if you ever come to sell it then any light buffing fluid would bring it back to as good as new!

from what i have seen so far, the 14" iB's just seem to have a better fit and finish overall. additionally, after examining the 12" and the 14" side by side, i think i have figured out a few things. first, they both produce a little heat in the left handrest area. in the 12", this heat has less polycarbonate to absorb, distribute and dissipate the heat. this makes the polycarbonate noticably warmer in that area. this added heat makes the plastic more soft and malleable, which creates gapping and allows creaks, groans and pops. when i turned the 12" off for a while and let it cool, the plastic was less susceptible to distortion, the trackpad/mouse button were less misaligned and the entire left handrest was much less mobile.

the 14" on the other hand has a lot more space and polycarbonate mass to absord and dissipate the heat.. even when running full blast, it did not move nearly as much or creak one bit.

by the lack of posts to this topic, i have to assume the 14" is providing a great deal fewer reasons for complaint regarding fit/finish/reliability. i hope someone does not prove me wrong, as i am planning on ordering one Friday (the new iLife starts shipping Friday).

finally, on a performance note, there is a noticeable difference in the performance of the two different books. i was running 12 programs on each computer and playing music and a dvd all at the same time to test their abilities. this was with 256 ram on each. needless to say, they both totally blew any PC i have ever used away immediately, even my desktop. and, the 14" definitely had better performance. no lag in video or audio with all of the programs running. absolutley freaking amazing on the part of both machines, but the lead definitely goes to the 14". beautiful screen on the 14 by the way. i have no idea why people think the 14 screen is less clear/sharp.

just my $.02

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.