Intel iMac - wireless problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
My wife has a 20" Intel iMac Core Duo. It's never had spectacular wireless performance but lately it's been terrible. I ran the update to 10.4.7 the other day and it got even worse. I have a Mini and a MacBook sitting right next to it with full or nearly full bars all the time. Any ideas on how to improve wireless performance?

M

menace3054

do you have "use interference robustness" enabled? microwaves, other wireless singnals, phones, etc can really hamper a connection. Give that a shot, if you still are having problems, make sure you have the latest drivers for the airport www.apple.com/support and if that doesnt work, you might need a new airport card.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
menace3054 said:
do you have "use interference robustness" enabled? microwaves, other wireless singnals, phones, etc can really hamper a connection. Give that a shot, if you still are having problems, make sure you have the latest drivers for the airport www.apple.com/support and if that doesnt work, you might need a new airport card.

Yes, I do have Interference Robustness enabled. It helped but did not completely fix the problem. I've ran software update and it has all the latest drivers, so unless there are newer drives on Apple's website, I'm all set there. *sigh*

M

menace3054

sometimes autoupdate wont pick up all of the airport drivers.. do you use an airport for your base station?" if so, those drivers are never updated by the auto update, and you might want to take a look into those. my fiance's imac had some problems like that a while back, i ended up buying a new wireless card and it helped a little :( sorry your having problems

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
menace3054 said:
sometimes autoupdate wont pick up all of the airport drivers.. do you use an airport for your base station?" if so, those drivers are never updated by the auto update, and you might want to take a look into those. my fiance's imac had some problems like that a while back, i ended up buying a new wireless card and it helped a little :( sorry your having problems

No, I don't have an Airport base station, I use a Linksys router. All of my other Macs work fine with it. Right now I have her iMac hooked into my Mini via Firewire using Firewire Internet Sharing and it's working great, but I'd really rather not do it that way. It's covered under AppleCare; I just picked it up new last February. Maybe I'll call it in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.