Autheticating to windows shares

• Thread starter lightningtechie
  • Start date
L

lightningtechie

Please help, having real issues connecting from mac to windows 2000 server machine. Can connect via smb ok but need to connect via afp. This used to work but seems to have stopped working recently. basically, when asked to authenticate I enter network credentialls but it tells me that username or password is not correct when I know that they are. Need to connect over afp because over smb, file associations with mac applications seem to be lost (e.g. quark project files don`t open in quark). Tied in with this (because I was troubshooting) when the authetication box comes up you can go into options and de select sending password as clear text. Now I don`t even get the chance to enter my authetication details. Is there any way I can reset the tick box back to sending in clear text (given that the authetication prompt doesn`t come up any more).

Any help with getting afp to actually work and to reset the send as clear text option would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
i have the same issue connecting to a 2000 server box. I will also be watching this thread for help

OP
L

lightningtechie

authentication issue

I can confirm that it is an authentication issue because if I enable the domain guest account and allow guests to connect, I am able to connect over afp but not if I try to authenticate with a normal user

OP
L

lightningtechie

After more playing the only way I have got auth to work is by ditching the microsoft files services for macintosh and using a prduct called macserverip which seems to work fine. It costs a bit unfortunately but better than leaving guest access on

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.