users question

R

ryandwayne

I've been using OS X Panther for a year and a half and just noticed something. After running What Size, the application that determines file and folder size, I have found that my user name has a duplicate user name with a . in front of it. So I have Users/Joe and Users/.Joe with the .Joe being larger then the original user folder. What does this mean? What should I do? I feel like somehow I have duplicated information on my computer and it's taking up 28gb of space.
Thanks, Ryandwayne

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is maybe Filevault?
Are you using it?

OP
R

ryandwayne

cradom said:
Only thing I can think of is maybe Filevault?
Are you using it?

I spoke to a friend today and realized it is file vault. so i tried to switch off file vault and it doesn't want to usse the remaining 13.gb (it's not enough) to make a copy to switch off. I find this very confusing.

i just received a copy of tiger and i want to upgrade, but i'm not sure what to do with the file vault issue.

Reaction score
You need to free up enough space to accommodate your User folder after Filevault uncompresses it. Make some backups, burn stuff to cd, whatever. After you get enough space, Filevault will uncompress your user folder. Then you can put what you need back.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Filevault, that's why I've never used it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.