Mac Firefox

P

Pestoballs

For some reason Firefox comes up no page can be displayed a lot , for sites like myspace or ytmd, is there some plugin im missing or is this just a glitch for mozilla. I have amacbook pro. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would say it is neither of those. I wouldn't even blame the browser or OS for it.
You are talking about two sites that
a) get TONS of traffic each day, overloading their servers
b) are notorious for 'updating' the site on a constant basis
c) have sites that are 'modified' by users who overload the page with all sorts of sounds, videos, pictures, etc... that all take so much time to load that sometimes the browser just gives up (has happened to me on Windows and Mac)

So the only advice is to keep trying it or reloading the page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
I swore by firefox on my PC so it was my first download on the mac.. then i started playing around with Safari and its much better and it dosent take up so much space like firefox try to get used to safari you will see that it is the same as firefox. they have the tab feature and everything!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G3, intel 1.83 imac, 4th gen 20 gb ipod
Yeah I think firefox is rubbish. I don't like it on my new intel imac. I've stuck with safari and had no problems.

OP
L

Logan

Be sure to check out Camino, too.
It's in my opinion the ideal mozilla (firefox uses Mozilla protocols) browsing client. Never really touched Safari, anything that is OS provided I normally see as too common to be good. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Logan said:
, anything that is OS provided I normally see as too common to be good. :/

Not to be rude, but what exactly do you mean by that?

OP
P

Pestoballs

well usually u can login on sites like that even with heavy traffic it just cant seem to do it. I really love the gestures and i dont care enough abot those dumb sites enough to change but thanks guys

edit: i actually just tried camino and it had the same problem, idk wat the problem is, i can go on peoples pages but not when the url begins with something like (collect.myspace.com) but i could be on myspace.com/whatever

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
hmm, that's interesting...

I tend to stick with Safari, it's dependable and reliable, as well as fast. Firefox is too weighed down and seems more like a monster.

Also, if you're into additional web browsers, check out Camino (interesting, but can't replace safari) and Opera (pretty innovative, more customizable, yet still doesn't replace Safari).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use Safari 99% of the time, but keep Camino and the new Opera 9 there in case I need them. I have Firefox installed also, but on OSX I rarely use it. On a PC though Firefox is what I usually use along with Opera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm with dtravis7 here. I use FireFox on the PC side and Safari almost exclusively on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
Opera comes is really handy on sites that "require" internet explorer as it'll tell the site it is internet explorer. That's the only time I use it. Otherwise it's Safari all the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you use Safari Enhancer it enables the Debug Menu that gives you that option as well...

OP
L

Logan

Let''s just say I stay away from stream line because most people are too lazy to write up "how t0 hax th1s unc0mmonly us3d product" than "how to hax safari", or "h0w to hax internet explorer". I'm not saying it's more secure, or worse, but as a personal opinion if I can find a reliable underdog I think it rocks the mainstream product, less attention... less people who give a **** and if an epidemic occurs you'll be the strange one more likely to not be caught by it.

Yeah...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Logan, interesting theory, but FireFox has way more market share than Safari - if you want the one that is more obscure, Safari is your browser of choice here!

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, yet on topic :p

I use Firefox for the sole purpose that all my link clicks open in a new tab... I can't seem to get this with Safari. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
CoinSlot said:
Slightly off topic, yet on topic :p

I use Firefox for the sole purpose that all my link clicks open in a new tab... I can't seem to get this with Safari. Any ideas?

Unfortunately i'm on a PC right now so i dont have safari open. But if i remember correctly open safari, click the word Safari, then preferences. Under preferences cycle through the menus until you see an option to enable tabbing.

Reaction score
Yep yep that's fine. But means i have to cmd-click to open in a new tab... In firefox every link opens in a new tab without having to hold the command key.

I can get used to the cmd-click for sure, but one thing I can't get to work is links in gmail. Cmd-click doesn't seem to work?

Sorry for going O/T here guys but it'll help me switch to Safari instead of Firefox :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
CoinSlot said:
Yep yep that's fine. But means i have to cmd-click to open in a new tab... In firefox every link opens in a new tab without having to hold the command key.

I can get used to the cmd-click for sure, but one thing I can't get to work is links in gmail. Cmd-click doesn't seem to work?

Sorry for going O/T here guys but it'll help me switch to Safari instead of Firefox :)
if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel button that button will open links in a new tab in safari and firefox, no command+click neccesary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Originally Posted by CoinSlot

There is a setting in Safaris Prefs that that tells it to open all new links in a new TAB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
honestly, is there THAT big of a difference? I have both on my mac and use them interchangeably. they both work fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.