Can't get OS9 to install on Beige G3

J

JonDesign

Hello everyone. I just recently picked up an old Beige G3 300mzh. It came with OS 8.0, so I upgraded to 8.6, but now I'm trying to upgrade to 9.0 and it won't let me. I get an error message that tells me I can't install it on my machine and then directs me to read the user manual (which I don't have).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
It sounds like you are trying to install using a System 9 disc that was designated for a specific model. You need to have a System 9 disc (the "Boxed" version) that will install on any system.

OP
B

Badger

JonDesign said:
Hello everyone. I just recently picked up an old Beige G3 300mzh. It came with OS 8.0, so I upgraded to 8.6, but now I'm trying to upgrade to 9.0 and it won't let me. I get an error message that tells me I can't install it on my machine and then directs me to read the user manual (which I don't have).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Jon

I checked an Apple info document; the beige G3 is compatible with all versions of OS 9 including 9.2.2. You can download many Apple service guides at: http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html.

In addition to an issue with the type of installer CD noted above OS 9 rquires (much) more RAM than previous systems. I would check that also.
Badger

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.