AirPort

Reaction score
the only thing i dont like about the MacBook is that i cant use my wireless Verizon internet because it has no input. but i was told the MacBooks come with AirPort. someone told me with that you can use internet anywhere. is this true? and does anyone have more info on this AirPort?

M

menace3054

you can use it anywhere that there is a hotspot. in order to use the verizon card you need a pcima (sp?) slot, i think only the macbook pro has one. you cannot access internet without a hotspot using the airport though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
The MacBook Pros don't have a pcmcia slot, they have an express card 34 slot which is supposed to be faster and better and whatnot but there's not really anything out for it yet.

Airport is just Apple's fancy name for wireless networking so as menace said you'll need a hotspot to use it for internet.

However, you could use bluetooth and use a bluetooth enabled cell phone to connect to the internet. That's what I do with my MacBook Pro. I would say call Varizion so see what cell phones and plans are supported.

OP
E
Reaction score
avcabob said:
The MacBook Pros don't have a pcmcia slot, they have an express card 34 slot which is supposed to be faster and better and whatnot but there's not really anything out for it yet.

Airport is just Apple's fancy name for wireless networking so as menace said you'll need a hotspot to use it for internet.

However, you could use bluetooth and use a bluetooth enabled cell phone to connect to the internet. That's what I do with my MacBook Pro. I would say call Varizion so see what cell phones and plans are supported.
are you talking about tethering? i got the impression that AirPort picks up more hotspots than windows laptops? or is it the same range?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
I beleve the range of a wireless card has more to do with the antenna used. My old powerbook didn't have the greatest range, but i've dropped it a few times. My point is airport is just like any other 802.11g card out there. Just a prettier name.

OP
E
Reaction score
avcabob said:
I beleve the range of a wireless card has more to do with the antenna used. My old powerbook didn't have the greatest range, but i've dropped it a few times. My point is airport is just like any other 802.11g card out there. Just a prettier name.
wow. i might have to cancel my order. i use my laptop away from home a lot for my job. is there any service that supports wireless internet for MacBooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Wireless is wireless is wireless. Airport is 802.11 B/G compliant. I use my iBook in hotels, airports, cafes ands other "hotspots" all over the world with no problems. If you want to use a service from a CellPhone provider with your CellPhone, you may run into issues there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You could also get something like this:
http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/usb/u111530.php

Not the most elegant solution ever, but it might help tide you over...

Otherwise you can get the macbook pro and an EVDO card for the expresscard slot.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks^ that's exactly what i've been looking for. but how much is it and can you buy it from that site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've no idea... I ran across it looking for a solution for a customer, but couldn't find them here in Germany.

I'd try contacting the site, or browse froogle.com for retailers.

I'm also not sure whether it's supported by OS X, but at least you could use it under boot camp.

M

menace3054

avcabob said:

verizon is full with criminals.. all of their phones have OBEX disabled so it wouldnt work, you can patch the phone but then if it breaks (which they seem to do often) no more warranty. Ive also noticed that the range on by PB is a lot worse than PCS. when i was in class once, a kid next to me on a thinkpad was picking up all these networks that mine couldnt see. i had to walk around the building until i was able to find it.

OP
E
Reaction score
menace3054 said:
verizon is full with criminals.. all of their phones have OBEX disabled so it wouldnt work, you can patch the phone but then if it breaks (which they seem to do often) no more warranty. Ive also noticed that the range on by PB is a lot worse than PCS. when i was in class once, a kid next to me on a thinkpad was picking up all these networks that mine couldnt see. i had to walk around the building until i was able to find it.
i didn't mean i wanted to use a verizon phone internet. i have a wireless internet card threw verizon..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.