DVD Burner on MAC

S

sptak

Hello all,

First of all, happy 4th to everyone. I hope everyone's 4th was spectacular.

I have an Mac G4 Cube that I bought for pretty cheap off of a freind of mine. It is currently running OS 10.2.xxx.

I have a Lacie 16X DVD+-R burner sitting in a firewire case. I bought the burner specifically to use with the mac. I have two firewire cases actually, both say that they are compatible with OS X. Whenever I connect the burner to the mac, it appears only as a CD ROM and does not let me burn CD's, DVD's or recognize it as a burner. I made an image of a test photo CD with disk image and am trying to burn it...

I have gone to both firewire case manufacturer's websites and they both emphasize compatibility with OS X but don't offer any drivers beacuse they say the support is built into the OS.

IS there something I have to turn on? Enable? Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
You could try patchburn 1.1 if the drive is not supported out of the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The issue may be OSX 10.2 itself. It only supported a very limited number of DVD-RW drives. Maybe it's time to upgrade to 10.4?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Baggss maybe right. I though that also when I first read your post. I have an old Power Mac 350Mhz G4 with 10.2.8 and there are so many Burners that are not supported at all. I had to use Patchburn but not even sure if that will work with some now. At least try to upgrade to Panther 10.3 or Tiger 10.4 if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
baggss said:
The issue may be OSX 10.2 itself. It only supported a very limited number of DVD-RW drives. Maybe it's time to upgrade to 10.4?
I'd try patchburn first (trying to save $$ I assume). If that doesn't work then upgrading to 10.3 or 10.4 would be the next step. If that doesn't fix it try installing Patchburn 4.0 (not compatible with 10.2). If money is not an object then by all means upgrade to Tiger (10.4) ASAP. It is a much improved OS compared to Jaguar (10.2).

Another approach would be to buy the most recent version of Toast that will work in 10.2 Toast supports more drives than the OS, and has some usefull features as well, but I'm cheap so I'd go with patchburn if it works with your drive.

Good Luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.