Looking for the right keyboard...

L

Localoid

My friend all laugh when I sit down at my old IBM keyboard from the 1980's, but the noise it makes soon drowns out their laughter! Thbbbt! ;)

Unfortunately, none in my collection of IBM's have 104 keys... so... I'd like to find a Mac keyboard that comes close to the touch and feel of the old IBM "buckling-spring" keyboard, a keyboard that you can really "feel" when you've pressed a key via a little bit of "feedback" from that key.

No, it doesn't have to be as noisy as the IBM -- but I do desire that same sort of tactile feedback and l-o-n-g keystoke! Good looks would be a plus -- but I hold keyboards that have (great) form without (tactile) function in the same regard as I do the "boy bands" from the '80's...

I literally spend all day at a computer keyboard, and a keyboard without firm resistance (that allows me to leave their fingers resting on the keys without triggering them) is the only thing that keeps me from having arm, neck and back pain. I've thrown several keyboard with "hair trigger" keys across the room in frustration over the years... (oops... it broke...good!)

Anyone here using the Maestro OS X Keyboard?
http://www.matias.ca/osxkeyboard/index.php

How's "the action" on the Maestro <$30 keyboard? Or, is there something else that's got a nice (stiff) action w/tactile feedback at <$50 available somewhere... anywhere?

Unfortunately, the selection in my local area where I could actually try a keyboard out consists of the old Wal-Mart, the newer Wal-Mart, or the newest Wal-Mart Super Center. (Yes, I live in Podunk!)

Any advice appreciated!

Reaction score
Im not sure if exactly what you need by tactile buttons. But the keyboard I use is in no way a hair trigger. It requires a good bit of force as far as keyboards go.

I have a microsoft brand keyboard on my current PC which is suprizingly good.

I have the wirless one shown here

But if you dont need all the function keys you could get this one here

Or you could get a wired version which is not available at CompUSA but you can try them out. They have them on display and they have a great feel to them.

Hope that I helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I think the matias keyboard was reviewed by Charles Moore at www.lowendmac.com. It was a while back though so you may have to search a bit.

I had a Macally icekey 104key USB keyboard that had a very good feel and travel to it, IMO, but not the klickity klick sprrings that the old KBs had.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.