• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Impressive Future iMac Mockup

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I found this posted on a blog the other day. It's someone's mockup of a iMac that they envision in the future, I think it's one of the most impressive that I've seen to date. Quite stunning.

Future iMac Concept

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I'm not sure what kind of dislay they would use that could a) make itself totally opaque and b) provide it's own backlight. Interesting concept if it could be done though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.07GHz; 30GB HDD; 512MB RAM; OS 10.4; 32MB VRAM; Combo Drive
Wow, thats great. How would you get a screen to do that though? Seem a bit ahead of time... if something like that would come out now it would be extreamly pricey. However the concept seems very functional and has great form... I happened to take a glance at the keyboard; it would be really cool if they came out w/ something like with an embedded led setup. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
that is cool, but too unrealistic. Interesting idea if it could be pulled off though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
You guys say how its a little a head of its time.. but I can remember about 12 years ago in a math class I had where a teacher put a transparent LCD screen on an overhead projector. And when she turned it on it could be used as a calculator, so all the kids could learn how to do math from the overhead.

So if 12 years ago they could make an transparent LCD that became opaque, I see no reason why they couldn't make a color LCD transparent to opaque let alone use some kinda fiber optic principles to self light. (and actually I think I do remember a color version of that used with a computer (like 7 years ago)...)

so I say its a very cool idea and plausible. It would also not be necessary to have a transparent screen like that. I have no problem not being able to see through my screen.

J

JKrouth

*DROOLS*

Although it would be kind of scary since everyone could see what you are doing, say, if you used it in an office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jkrouth, welcome to mac-forums! another person from wisconsin! taking over.

----

It would suck in an office.

2000blasterboy

WOW! That thing is crazy! I think it could be done, its not that far ahead of our times.
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
That would look so good in my house. I would buy it if it was available. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you guys are in luck... because I am selling them! please send the low low price of 1500$ in cash to "324 Tropical Island 56434" and if you act in the next 5 min I will also include a keyboard and mouse free of charge! and thats not all, you'll also receive free shipping and handling!

HD sold separately

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Graphite said:
You guys say how its a little a head of its time.. but I can remember about 12 years ago in a math class I had where a teacher put a transparent LCD screen on an overhead projector. And when she turned it on it could be used as a calculator, so all the kids could learn how to do math from the overhead.

There were two types of screens that could do this; colour ones and black and white ones. The colour ones did not go opaque - they merely changed colour. The light still had to go through. If you did not have a backlight of similar power to an OHP, the screen would be unreadable.

The black and white ones were just that - they used calculator style polarizers that would either let the screen be completely opaque, or completely black. Any shades of gray they could do were still slightly transparent, and so the problem as I stated it remains. If you had one on a monitor stand, you would be able to see right through every colour except black. It would be like running with every window set to 25% transparency.

My other point, that there is no light source, is still valid. The OHP ones you speak of were designed to have a powerful, external lightsource. The ones in this mockup have no light source - they would have to generate their own. OLED technology is coming along, but cannot do what the mockups suggest.

I reckon that given 7 or 8 years this could be a possibility. In the meantime, having a white or black opaque screen in the same style would be fine for me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
I love the Keyboard, but how would it be able to suspend itself at such an angle with no support!

It's a very sweet looking wireless system.

I wonder if such a screen could also be made to be touch screen as well, with many levels of pressure like a tablet. That would be great for art.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cazabam said:
There were two types of screens that could do this; colour ones and black and white ones. The colour ones did not go opaque - they merely changed colour. The light still had to go through. If you did not have a backlight of similar power to an OHP, the screen would be unreadable.

The black and white ones were just that - they used calculator style polarizers that would either let the screen be completely opaque, or completely black. Any shades of gray they could do were still slightly transparent, and so the problem as I stated it remains. If you had one on a monitor stand, you would be able to see right through every colour except black. It would be like running with every window set to 25% transparency.

My other point, that there is no light source, is still valid. The OHP ones you speak of were designed to have a powerful, external lightsource. The ones in this mockup have no light source - they would have to generate their own. OLED technology is coming along, but cannot do what the mockups suggest.

I reckon that given 7 or 8 years this could be a possibility. In the meantime, having a white or black opaque screen in the same style would be fine for me :)

Oh I am sorry, you must not have read my entire post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
that looks so awesome!!! imagine a similar sort of concept for an ipod. maybe 2 screens, one on the front like our normal iPods, and then on the back, a screen that goes back to white when not used for videos.

or better yet, a transparent iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Graphite said:
Oh I am sorry, you must not have read my entire post.

Um, I did. I guess you were referring to the use of fibre optics to self light? OK, maybe that's a possibility for that part. Do you have any links or reference to the colour versions that went opaque? I'd be interested in reading how they work. I remember the ones that went on OHPs but as I said, the colour ones were not opaque - they needed to maintain translucency to let the light through and acted as filters. If you held them up you could see through them.

Either way, I was just adding my 2p to the discussion :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Graphite said:
Well you guys are in luck... because I am selling them! please send the low low price of 1500$ in cash to "324 Tropical Island 56434" and if you act in the next 5 min I will also include a keyboard and mouse free of charge! and thats not all, you'll also receive free shipping and handling!

HD sold separately
I sent this guy my money the other day, AND HES NOT REPLYING!!!!!
HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
LOL! Send more...

F

Fallooza

JKrouth said:
*DROOLS*

Although it would be kind of scary since everyone could see what you are doing, say, if you used it in an office.
welcome! and Wisconsin rules!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.