Need Help w/ mounting an external HD please?

K

kmf886

I have a Western Digital external hard drive. By accident, I pulled the wrong USB cord and disconnected the HD without unmounting it. I got that warning about problems since I disconnected without unmounting, and it was right. I've restarted both the HD and my iBook, but it won't recognize the HD anymore. Does anyone know if I can fix this? I'm runnin OSX 10.3.9. Thanks,

Kev

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you tried remounting using the disk utility application?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you can not see the disk at all using the disk utility application, that is not a good sign.

Have powered everything down, check the connections and then power up the disk, then your system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" ibook g4 1.33ghz 512mb ram 40 gb hard drive
I had this happen to me a while ago. When I pulled the plug the drive made a really bad noise... Like something was grinding to a stop inside the drive. I think the head froze or something and messed it up. Did yours make any sounds?

OP
K

kmf886

it didn't make any "bad" noise. i could hear the drive slowing down as i pulled the plug. i've tried rebooting and disk utility - nothing. but i hooked it up to my mac on work and the hard drive showed right up. but then when i reconnected to my mac at home nothing. anyone know if diskwarrior might help with this?

newbalous5001 said:
I had this happen to me a while ago. When I pulled the plug the drive made a really bad noise... Like something was grinding to a stop inside the drive. I think the head froze or something and messed it up. Did yours make any sounds?

OP
S

SHNAKE

maybe reformat the drive using the computer that can see it? unless you have a lot of important files on the drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, OSX ver 10.4.8
I joined this forum because I have the same problem and am looking for an answer. When this happened the first time on my imac (intel Core 2 Duo)my son reinstalled the operating system (10.4.8)and it worked just fine with no lose of information. However every time I have a power outage or someone accidentally unplugs the power cord to the hard drive, I have the same problem. I am using firewire 800. If anyone has any permanent fixes, I'm all ears. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.