Mac browser FRUSTRTATION!?!?

L

lokerd

Hello. I am returning back to the Macworld of things. Generally, I am enjoying many of the benefits. I have mentioned a few of the things that frustrate me that I could do on a WindowsPC, such as sizeable windows from any side, Alt Keyboard shortcuts, maximizine a window to the whole screen, mostly GUI stuff.

But this latest things has really got me furstrated and I am hoping maybe there is just a simple solution out there.

1) EVERY browser I have tried: Safari, IE, NScape, and Opera have an oddity about the way they hand the "OK" or "Enter" button on a web page. On a PC, you can tab to that button or pass it up, etc. On a Mac, it is not able to be reached via the tab. You HAVE to get the mouse and click. Normally, this is only the disadvantage of having to get to the mouse while my hands are on the keyboard and USUALLY, the Enter key works...but sometime, it doesn't and on this one particular page that I have to log into every day from work, it results in an error...so that I HAVE to get the mouse to hit enter button. Why???

2) Also, the "State" on forms is the same way. On a PC, you can tab to the state, hit the first letter for the state and hit tab again. On a Mac, the state will not even pop up.

3) Finally. On a PC, if I am in a browser window, and I hit "Cntrl + N" (New Window) it opens a new window from the same place I was...it even retains the history state from from the previous window. Again, this isn't major, but EVERYDAY, I have to log into this site to enter attendance for my class. Once I log in on a PC, all I have to do is hit "Cntl + N" 6 times for 6 more windows, all of them have been entered past the log in point. They even have the cursor in the correct place if I put the cursor in the correct place on the originating window. On a Mac, it jsut can't be done...and I end up having to log in every single window. This is enough of a challenge that I have to keep a PC in the room jsut for attendance. Now, just yesterday, I did determine a resolution...one that is still awkward...if after entering say 2nd periods attendance, I hit Back, Back, Back, Back...it will take me back to the period selection and not require a new log in. But this is still frustrating...as I like to get all of the classes open and ready to go for the day.

So, does anybody know of something that can be changed in the IE preferences to make the Mac IE more like the PC IE?

Thanks!
Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
lokerd said:
Hello. I am returning back to the Macworld of things. Generally, I am enjoying many of the benefits. I have mentioned a few of the things that frustrate me that I could do on a WindowsPC, such as sizeable windows from any side, Alt Keyboard shortcuts, maximizine a window to the whole screen, mostly GUI stuff.

what alt commands available on PC arent for Mac OS X? I'm assuming you're running 10.3 (panther). Under System Preferences >> Keyboard & Mouse, you will see many of the keyboard commands. If you look in the menus, you will see many more keyboard commands, and if you read this thread on shorcuts you should be able to find a keyboard shorcut for just about everything.

1. IE on Mac sucks. Microsoft has even announced it will no longer upgrade IE on the Mac platform. I'm not sure why Apple even packages it with the OS. There are many other browsers besides the ones you mentioned. Most Mac users prefer to use Safari or one of the mozilla browsers

2. Hitting enter on a site depends on the way the site is designed. I won't get into the details of the form, but it depends on how the site is written for you to hit enter from a certain field.

3. Tabbing through pull down menus, Submit, etc. We would all love to see that, but it is not in any browser (that I know of). Its a supposed feature of the next Safari release, which is rumored to be out sometime in the next month or 2.

4. I hate how IE would open the same page in a new window. It just never made sense. Very few people need the exact same page open in a new window. You already have the page open, why would you need it again? I personally am a huge fan of Tabbed browsing. You could make a link for it in the Safari bookmark bar, then using the keyboard command (pressing command and clicking on the link 6 times), you could open the same page in 6 different tabs, all within the same window.

The main differences between windows and mac browsers are mostly due to the difference between the OS. I've used mozilla firebird on mac and pc, and while very similar in the look and feel, they operate different in many ways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
1. Actually IE for mac you should be able to tab to the enter button. It's the only Mac browser that I know of that can tab to buttons at this time that is. And it's one of my big complaints also, but I think that will be improved upon in the future.

2. Same again on IE, IE does this.

3. And this one can be done using Omniweb I believe, or Opera.. pretty sure it is Omniweb though. You'll just have to mess with the preferences to do this.

And hopefully all of these non features will be remedied in future versions of our favourite browsers!

OP
L

lokerd

MacAddikt said:
what alt commands available on PC arent for Mac OS X?

2. Hitting enter on a site depends on the way the site is designed. I won't get into the details of the form, but it depends on how the site is written for you to hit enter from a certain field.

3. Tabbing through pull down menus, Submit, etc. We would all love to see that, but it is not in any browser (that I know of).

4. I hate how IE would open the same page in a new window. It just never made sense. Very few people need the exact same page open in a new window. You already have the page open, why would you need it again?

Thanks for the feedback. The commands I was referring to were specifically the Alternate keystrokes. On a PC, as I am sure you know, you can bring down menus by simply hitting the "Alt" key, then you cna arrow around. Or, if you know the keystokes, you can issue just about ANY command from the keyboard. My first laptop was a Mac Duo 280c, back when it was brand new, I then moved to PC. The ALT keystrokes was IMMEDIATELY my favorite thing about being on a laptop. On my PB 12 G$, not only do I NOT have the alt keyboard strokes, I only have one mouse button, no scroll wheel, no key to bring down the Apple menu, etc. Just frustrating if you ask me. Don't get me wrong. I like Apple...and love my G4, was a diehard MacEvanglist in the early '90s, stood in Best Buy directing people toward the Apples, fixing the crashed computer, etc. (as a customer). It is just frustrating that some very basic things that would make life IMMENSELY easier should have been implemented.

2. Tabbing to the enter key does not work for me. For example: http://bisd-iis1.beaumont.k12.tx.us/attendance/ here is another: https://homebanking.baefcu.org//HomeBanking.asp?CABINET=Online+Banking The Tab key just passes the submit right by. On the first one, if you just hit enter from the last field, it actually gives an error. I actually have to grab the mouse. In my lab of Macs, I have to keep one PC around JUST to enter the attendance. Argh! It is not that big of a deal, except that I have to do it 6 times a day, under a stressful situation.

3. (4 for MacAddikt) I guess I am strange. I LOVE how IE opens a window in the same browser state. In fact, recent versions of IE have ADDED the feature of retaining the history of the original window. VERY cool. I used to be devote Netscape, but decided this ONE feature was worth a bunch. For example, let's say I am doing a Google search...and I have followed a link several links down. I want to keep going, but I want to look something else up, from the same search results. Cntrl + N and a new window pops up from that exact state, that I can then go BACKWARDS in the history until I get to the place I want to start again, whether it be back at Google or somewhere further down the line. This is the case also when searching for stuff on Ebay or FatWallet, or just about any site. I have heard other power users comment how they like this feature, and I have taught people how to do it and it helps, I think, with productivity and organization. I also use "Open link in New Window"...and on a PC, you can use the Shfit click which is also VERY useful to force a new window just by clicking...one with out a histroy. Or Ctrl Click to get a new window WITH history.

Also, on a PC, if you WANT the a new window from your basic home page, going to the file menu and hitting new from there DOES give you a new window. Also, clicking on "E" in the shortcut bar or on my laptop, hitting the "E" qucik access button on teh keyboard also brings up a b rand new window, which I have set to Google for a fast load. I agree with you, MA, that sometimes it makes sense to start with a fresh window. But it is this last thing that is so frusrating for entering my attendance 6 times a day...enough of a reason to keep a PC in the classroom for that one single reason.

Drew

OP
S

StarManta

Another idea about those 6 pages you want to open: if you make a folder on your Safari toolbar thing, then drag the page into the folder 6 times; then go back to Bookmarks and check "Open in Tabs". Now you have a single button that opens your page 6 times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.