Apple DVD player initialisation Error

Reaction score
eMac 1.25Ghz PowerPC G4
512mb
OSX 10.4.7

I have a LaCie external DVDRW connected via firewire cable, but whenever i try to use a DVD, whether it be a DVD Movie or a regualar DVD app, i always get this error:

"There was an initialisation error"
"A Valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]"

I have tried various brands, ie. Verbatim, PNY.

This only happens with the default apple DVD player. I can use VLC with no problems.

Oddly, not knowing what version my player is, i tried updating it to the latest version, 4.6.1. When installing, i got the red exclamation mark on the apple HDD, stating that it could not be installed because a newer version was already installed,

Any clues to this error?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 Mac (Tiger), MacMini G4, MacBook Pro (Leopard)
Using Apple's "DVD Player" without a built-in DVD drive (i.e. using external/virtual)

I too got "a valid dvd drive could not be found. [-70012]", but mine was because I was trying to play "DVD Player" on a Mac without a DVD drive (crazy? no, just trying to play an ISO backup of a DVD).

Do I go for a VOB player of some kind? Did you ever find a solution (assuming yours would work for me)? Do I just buy a cheap DVD drive (which won't help you)? Would something like http://www.patchburn.de work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.