iMacs for use in small business

E

eckloss

Grettins n such.

Newbie iMac user.

I own and operate a cellular phone business. I have 3 locations in 3 different cities, and live in a 4th city.

Can I start a general "is this even possible, and if so, how?" discussion here...

I'd like to switch all the stores from pcs to iMacs. Not only for space savings and cosmetic appeal, but for security and stability as well.

Currently, at the end of the day, each store faxes me a couple pages worth of closing numbers and receipts. Then, at home, i go thru each one and consolidate the info into an Excel spreadsheet.

Id like to have the ability for each location to have access to the same iDisk so that they may open a spreadsheet, input their numbers, and save it. Then I can access those files as well from wherever i might be, either one of the stores or at home with my iMac.

Id also like to set up private networks for chatting between the stores and myself.

simply, how?

any help here?

one concern is i dont want each store's imac to have access to things the shouldnt. very basic idisk access should be enough.

finally, can i, from my home location, remotely call up the iMacs iSight cam so I can snoop and see what my employees are up to at each store?

phew...

e.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would take a differnet approach. I would see what point of sale software Apple is using in thier stores and see if they are all connected up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I think the best approach is to simply set up their Macs to "rsync" with your's at home or with a dedicated server at home (you can build one out of an old machine). Rsync can use SSH to incrementally backup whatever files/directories that you choose. You can schedule the jobs via /etc/crontab.

If you went this route, it would be a very fast (since incremental backups are done), secure, free and reliable solution. I currently have my computers backed up this way at home and it works great. I also have a script that runs once a week to backup the backup files.

At the end of the day, they would simply have to make sure the files are saved properly on their end and the script would "push" the changes in the files to your machine at home.

OP
E

eckloss

many thanks folks. much appriciated.

karudzo said:
I think the best approach is to simply set up their Macs to "rsync" with your's at home or with a dedicated server at home (you can build one out of an old machine). Rsync can use SSH to incrementally backup whatever files/directories that you choose. You can schedule the jobs via /etc/crontab.

If you went this route, it would be a very fast (since incremental backups are done), secure, free and reliable solution. I currently have my computers backed up this way at home and it works great. I also have a script that runs once a week to backup the backup files.

At the end of the day, they would simply have to make sure the files are saved properly on their end and the script would "push" the changes in the files to your machine at home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.